"The city where I was born and raised" Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond by Carmanah
Richmond Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 137 photos
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
Location: 49° 10' North, 123° 08' West
Population: 174,461 (2006 Census)
I seem to surprise people when I tell them that I was born in Richmond.
"People are actually from Richmond?!" is the typical response.
True, Richmond tends to be seen as a place of recent immigration, but little else. Most people around Vancouver associate the city as a bland and boring suburb of concrete stripmalls and elaborate Hong Kong shopping plazas. And since the 1980's, Richmond's population has become over 60% Asian, predominantly from affluent Hong Kong immigrants. As a result, a locals find Richmond synonymous with being Chinese. So I have become a bit of an exception to the modern Richmond stereotype.
Not only was I born and raised here, but so were my parents, which means all my grandparents lived here. Even a good chunk of my great grandparents lived in Richmond, so Richmond and me go waaaaay back.
(to be continued...)
- Pros:Beautiful trails along the Fraser River. Steveston is charming, historic, and scenic. Close proximity to Vancouver, the USA border, and the ferries to Vancouver Island. Good shopping malls. The best Chinese food in North America.
- Cons:One of the ugliest downtowns you'll ever see, specifically along No 3 Road and Bridgeport. City council just wants to develop everything into higher density, so old neighbourhoods are turning into ugly condos. Lots of ugly, gawdy pink stucco houses.
Finn Slough is one of the most unique places in Richmond, and one of the oldest residential communities. It was... more travel advice
The London Heritage Farm (locally called "London Farm" or sometimes "London Farm House") is possibly the oldest farm in... more travel advice
Carmanah's Related Pages
Richmond Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Three Cities In One"
- "The city where I was born and raised"
- "Swallowed by the Dragon"
- "Richmond, British Columbia, Canada"
- "Richmond, British Columiba"
- "Hong Kong in British Columbia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Richmond
- Hotels in Richmond
- Transportation in Richmond
- Restaurants in Richmond
- Shopping in Richmond
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Richmond
- 14 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Richmond?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Richmond
- updated a Richmond Travel Page "The city where I was born and raised"
- Posted in Travel Vancouver Forum "Re: Canadian Crafts shops on..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The city where I was born and raised"
- Wrote a Review Finn Slough in Richmond Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of shopgal's Richmond travel pages
Photos in RichmondSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 238 reviews, 390 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Steveston Intro, 54 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 59 reviews, 134 photos, 5 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 39 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tofino Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 26 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 27 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue