"The city where I was born and raised" Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond by Carmanah

Richmond Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 116 photos

Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
Location: 49° 10' North, 123° 08' West
Population: 174,461 (2006 Census)
Incorporated: 1879

I seem to surprise people when I tell them that I was born in Richmond.

"People are actually from Richmond?!" is the typical response.

True, Richmond tends to be seen as a place of recent immigration, but little else. Most people around Vancouver associate the city as a bland and boring suburb of concrete stripmalls and elaborate Hong Kong shopping plazas. And since the 1980's, Richmond's population has become over 60% Asian, predominantly from affluent Hong Kong immigrants. As a result, a locals find Richmond synonymous with being Chinese. So I have become a bit of an exception to the modern Richmond stereotype.

Not only was I born and raised here, but so were my parents, which means all my grandparents lived here. Even a good chunk of my great grandparents lived in Richmond, so Richmond and me go waaaaay back.

(to be continued...)

• Pros:Beautiful trails along the Fraser River. Steveston is charming, historic, and scenic. Close proximity to Vancouver, the USA border, and the ferries to Vancouver Island. Good shopping malls. The best Chinese food in North America.
  • Cons:One of the ugliest downtowns you'll ever see, specifically along No 3 Road and Bridgeport. City council just wants to develop everything into higher density, so old neighbourhoods are turning into ugly condos. Lots of ugly, gawdy pink stucco houses.
  • Last visit to Richmond: Aug 2008
  • Intro Updated Sep 10, 2008

• Jul 23, 2006 at 11:14 AM

Carmanah, I saw your picture of u-pick strawberry farm on virtualtourist.com can you tell me where it is located? Thanks

• tvdm's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2005 at 12:38 AM

Thanks for your tips Robyn! Apart from friends in the West End, I have an uncle who lives here and I always go and stay with him as well. Richmind isn't so bad: what's left of the fields reminds me of Holland :)

Carmanah Was Born Here!

Carmanah

“You only live once!”

Badges & Stats in Richmond

Have you been to Richmond?