"Home Sweet Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Steveston by Carmanah
Steveston Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 305 photos
Steveston, British Columbia, Canada
Location: 49° 08' North, 123° 11' West
Population: 25,460 (2006 Census)
Founded: by William Steves on July 31, 1889
Thanks for visiting my Steveston page.
Steveston is a small heritage fishing village located in the south-west corner of Richmond (which is just south of Vancouver). It's Steveston that was settled in the late 19th century as "cannery row" - a place where over a dozen canneries and fisheries were built along the mouth of the Fraser River where fishermen arrived from across Canada and as far as Japan to fish in the salmon-rich waters.
Today Steveston is still home to Canada's largest fishing fleet. While the canneries are either gone or have been preserved into museums and heritage sites, many fishermen use Steveston as their port, for Steveston still has all the facilities for commercial fishing.
In the 1980's tourism slowly caught on in Steveston, where quaint gift shops, art galleries and waterfront restaurants began to open. A new public wharf was built where people could buy fish right off the boats from which they were caught.
Steveston does not feel like anywhere else in Richmond or even Vancouver. Despite being a part of Richmond and a "suburb" of Vancouver, it has maintained its rich history and distinct character which makes it a very unique place to visit.
Having been born and raised in Steveston, I have certain ties to this place that can't be ignored. I really feel at home here and do miss its charms. I also have quite a sentimental attachment to Steveston as it's where four generations of my family have set up businesses. So walking through Steveston is like a trip down memory lane.
Ironically, none of us fish!
- Pros:A small town community, lots of heritage, charm, waterfront access. Home to the largest fishing fleet in Canada, public docks, fresh seafood, the best fish & chips!
- Cons:A lot of Steveston's original charm is disappearing - townhouse complexes, shopping plazas, and luxury condos have taken away from the feel of the village.
- In a nutshell:A historic fishing village at the mouth of the Fraser River
The London Heritage Farm (locally called "London Farm" or sometimes "London Farm House") is possibly the oldest farm in... more travel advice
The Salmon Bake is a crucial part to the Steveston Salmon Festival's annual tradition. In fact, it's the salmon bake... more travel advice
- See All For when you're craving British food
- See All Good sandwiches and baked goods
- The Buck
Carmanah's Related Pages
Steveston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Sweet Home"
- "Steveston, BC - Historic Fishing Village"
- "Steveston, British Columbia"
- "A City Within A City"
- "Steveston Salmon Festival on Canada Day"
- "A lovely way to spend a day"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Steveston
- Transportation in Steveston
- Nightlife in Steveston
- Restaurants in Steveston
- Shopping in Steveston
- Warnings and Dangers in Steveston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Steveston
- 54 Reviews
- 146 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Steveston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Steveston
- Posted in Travel Vancouver Forum "Re: Canadian Crafts shops on..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "An uninspiring and overpriced tourist trap"
- updated a Steveston Travel Page "Home Sweet Home"
- Wrote a Review For when you're craving British food in Steveston Shopping
- Commented on one of JennysTravels's Steveston travel pages
Photos in StevestonSee All Photos (146)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 238 reviews, 390 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Steveston Intro, 54 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 59 reviews, 134 photos, 5 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 39 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tofino Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 26 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 27 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue