"Tofino: the land of rainforests and rugged beaches" Top 5 Page for this destination Tofino by Carmanah
Tofino Travel Guide: 171 reviews and 381 photos
Tofino, British Columbia, Canada
Location: 49° 9' North, 125° 54' West
Population: 1,655 (2006 Census)
Incorporated: February 5, 1932
What was once a local's secret has recently become one of the most popular vacation destinations in Canada. Tofino, generally unheard of at first, is a small fishing village on the west coast of Vancouver Island. Lying at the northern tip of a peninsula, Tofino is home to about 1600 residents, a fishing wharf, a few shops, restaurants, and galleries.
While generally small fishing towns are not huge tourist attractions in BC, Tofino, the village, isn't really the main draw. Most people who say they're going to "Tofino" are actually going to explore the nearby peninsula just south of the village. They're going to experience the rugged wilderness on this remote coast of Vancouver Island, where old growth temperate rainforests kiss the Pacific Ocean.
Sounds too dramatic?
Then it sounds like Tofino!
I liken a visit to the Tofino area to a religious experience, simply because the nature and the atmosphere makes it practically spiritual. It's a nature-lover's paradise, and definitely a must-see for those looking to escape hectic pace of everyday life. Whether you want to beachcomb along the tidal pools, sea kayak, whale watch, surf, hike along the boardwalk trails, fish, or indulge yourself at a nearby resort, Tofino's the best place to visit to simply relax.
While I have only been to Tofino twice in my life (once as a family vacation in August 1994 and once as a weekend getaway in December 2004), my visits have made strong, lasting impressions.
- Pros:Pacific Rim National Park, the rainforests, the fresh air, the views, the scenery, the wildlife, the resorts, the Pacific ocean!!! the surfing, the outdoor sports, hitchhiker friendly, bohemian hippy friendly, great food/bakeries, friendly locals
- Cons:Limited accommodation means high demand and high prices in the summer months - some hotels even require 2-3 night stays minimum. Not a daytrip destination because it's too big and too far away. One road in, one road out.
- In a nutshell:The west coast paradise ideal: mountains, rainforests and the Pacific Ocean
This has to be the top of anybody's "to do" list when they go to Tofino. To miss the rainforest trail in Pacific Rim... more travel advice
Long Beach is one of the most famous beaches located in the Pacific Rim National Park. It's one very long sandy beach... more travel advice
Carmanah's Related Pages
Tofino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A close encounter"
- "Canada's Hidden Treasure!"
- "Tofino - Spiritual, Magical Beauty"
- "Tofino: the land of rainforests and rugged beaches"
- "Tofino , Vancouver Island, B.C."
- "The Most Beautiful Place in the World"
- "One of my very favourite places, Tofino"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tofino
- Hotels in Tofino
- Transportation in Tofino
- Restaurants in Tofino
- Shopping in Tofino
- Warnings and Dangers in Tofino
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tofino
- 11 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Tofino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tofino
- Posted in Travel Vancouver Forum "Re: Canadian Crafts shops on..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Walk the Rainforest Trail"
- Wrote a Review Walk the Rainforest Trail in Tofino Things to Do
- updated a Tofino Travel Page "Tofino: the land of rainforests and rugged beaches"
- Commented on one of zrim's Tofino travel pages
Photos in TofinoSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 238 reviews, 390 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Steveston Intro, 54 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 59 reviews, 134 photos, 5 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 39 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tofino Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 26 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 27 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue