"A Local's Perspective" Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver by Carmanah
Vancouver Travel Guide: 3,957 reviews and 8,257 photos
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Location: 49° 16' North, 123° 04' West
Population: 578,041 (2006 Census)
Incorporated: April 6, 1886
Thanks for checking out my Vancouver page - the most informative VT page I have ever built! I'd like to think I can offer a unique perspective on Vancouver - a life long local's perspective. Not only of the city itself, but the atmosphere and attitudes you'll encounter. Sick and tired of typical touristy brochure shpeels of Vancouver as the place where you can ski and sail in one day? Do you want to know the real secrets, both pros and cons? Welcome to my page!
I will be adapting my Vancouver page to reflect life in Vancouver, not necessarily from the tourist's point of view, but definitely for the benefit of any visitor, whether they plan to vacation, study or work here. Since many generations of my family have called Greater Vancouver home, I feel a very strong bond with the city and the surrounding region, and this passion for my home inspires my writing. You'll notice that a lot of my writing will revolve around family traditions, anecdotes and experiences while growing up and living here.
- Pros:The mountains at the foot of the city (skiing, hiking, etc). Beaches surrounding the city (swimming, boating, etc). Multicultural and liberal-minded. Diverse cuisine options. Warm, dry summers. Wet but mild (no snow!) winters. Very modern.
- Cons:The visible social problems involving panhandling, drug use, and high property theft. Archaic liquor laws. Limited and often underwhelming nightlife. Gentrification is removing the character in many neighbourhoods. Costly housing. Parking hell.
- In a nutshell:A cosmopolitan city located in a beautiful geographical setting, blending Asian and European influences, unique to both Canada and the world.
The Sheraton Wall Center is a modern hotel located in the heart of downtown Vancouver. The area is safe and vibrant at... more travel advice
Chinatown is a really interesting neighbourhood with a lot of grit, history, and character. However, I only recommend... more travel advice
- See All Using US dollars in Vancouver
- See All Fall clothing
- See All A monthly nightlife event for art lovers
- See All A local secret and the best patio in the...
- See All Grouse Mountain is not your only...
Carmanah's Related Pages
Vancouver Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Local's Perspective"
- "Vancouver, BC - Canada's Pacific Gem!"
- "Vancouver, BC, Canada!"
- "Vancouver, my current home"
- "Vancouver,the best neighbor city of the USA!"
- "Summer in Vancouver"
- "The big city on the West Coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vancouver
- Hotels in Vancouver
- Transportation in Vancouver
- Nightlife in Vancouver
- Restaurants in Vancouver
- Shopping in Vancouver
- Warnings and Dangers in Vancouver
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vancouver
- 238 Reviews
- 372 Photos
- 446 Forum posts
- 508 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Vancouver?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vancouver
- Posted in Travel Vancouver Forum "Re: Canadian Crafts shops on..."
- updated a Vancouver Travel Page "A Local's Perspective"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Local's Perspective"
- Wrote a Review Using US dollars in Vancouver about Taxes, tipping & money in Vancouver Local Customs
- Commented on one of sellej2's Vancouver travel pages
Photos in VancouverSee All Photos (372)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 238 reviews, 390 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Steveston Intro, 54 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 59 reviews, 134 photos, 5 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 39 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tofino Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 26 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 27 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue