"Caerphilly - famous for two things!" Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly by warney
Caerphilly Travel Guide: 122 reviews and 420 photos
Caerphilly is famous for two things - the Castle (Europe's second largest ) and for making Cheese! Although the Castle still remains the long tradition of making cheese has fallen by the way side in recent times and is not as evident as it once was.
Caerphilly castle cheese is pale, tangy, salty, firm, crumbly cheese. Caerphilly cheese actually stopped being produced in Caerphilly for three years between 1993-6 because of difficulty obtaining milk from the milk marketing board. However, Castle Dairies now produces locally-made Caerphilly cheese.
Several years ago, Caerphilly Country Borough Council launched the ‘Big Cheese‘ festival in order to highlight the richness of history, heritage and culture of Caerphilly.
The festival is held in and around the castle grounds in late July early August and is FREE (check dates). The event is an excellent day out and last year attracted some 80,000 people to Caerphilly over the course of the weekend. In 2003, the festival is expected to attract over 100,000 visitors.
During the festival there are a variety of displays in and adjacent to the castle, including medieval warfare demonstrations, archery, falconry, live music, a funfair and local produce stalls.
Gilbert lived in the castle with his beautiful wife, the Princess Alice of Angouleme. Alice's beauty was known... more travel advice
One of Henry III's most powerful and ambitious barons, Gilbert de Clare, lord of Glamorgan, built this castle. His... more travel advice
warney's Related Pages
Caerphilly Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Caerphilly - Famous for its' Castle and Cheese..."
- "Caerphilly Rains"
- "ordinary town with a medieval castle!"
- "Caerphilly - famous for two things!"
- "Home of the cheese and the castle"
- "Caerphilly, famed for cheese and leaning castle"
- "Caerphilly - Caerffili"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caerphilly
- Transportation in Caerphilly
- Restaurants in Caerphilly
- Shopping in Caerphilly
- Warnings and Dangers in Caerphilly
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caerphilly
- 9 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Caerphilly?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caerphilly
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly Intro, 9 reviews, 4 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Bowral Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Manly Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Perth Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Paris Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- London Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Fremantle Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer Intro, 1 review, 2 photos