"IN THE HEART OF ALENTEJO" Montemor-o-Novo by JoseMonteiro
Montemor-o-Novo Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 22 photos
This town is one of the oldest in Portugal. The richness of it's lands allowed human occupation since pre-history. The region is full of monuments that prove it : caves with paintings from the upper paleolithic as well as megalithic monuments.
The shape of the town has we know it was a work of the islamic occupation. After their expulsion a magnificent castle was built, very probably where the arabe city stood once. It was also a construction to stop spanish invasions. The first mention to this town dates from 1181.
The modern city of Montemor-o-Novo lives with those legacys, trying to bring them back to peoples memory. That was how i hended up in here, working on an archaeologycal field in a convent built in the 16th century.
JoseMonteiro's Related Pages
Montemor-o-Novo Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Montemor-o-Novo
- Hotels in Montemor-o-Novo
- Nightlife in Montemor-o-Novo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montemor-o-Novo
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Montemor-o-Novo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montemor-o-Novo
Photos in Montemor-o-NovoSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Viana do Castelo Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- Macao Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kathmandu Intro, 3 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kirtipur Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tomar Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nazaré Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montemor-o-Novo Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Foshan Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monsaraz Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos