"TENERIFE - CANARIAN ISLAND" Isla de Tenerife by Trindade
Isla de Tenerife Travel Guide: 1,422 reviews and 3,056 photos
Tenerife (previously known and spelled as "Teneriffe" in English, before mass tourism adopted the Spanish spelling), a Spanish island, is the largest of the seven Canary Islands in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Africa. The island's population is 852,945 (2006 census).
Santa Cruz de Tenerife is the second biggest city in the archipelago, the capital of the island and the head of the island government (cabildo insular). It is also officially co-capital of the autonomous community of the Canary Islands together with Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, with whom it shares governmental institutions such as Presidency, Parliament and ministries.
The island is home to La Laguna University founded in 1792.
The island is located at [show location on an interactive map] 28°19′N, 16°34′W and has a surface area of 2,034 km² (785 sq.mi). Like the rest of the Canary Islands, it is of volcanic origin. The last of the three eruptions that created the island happened about 3.5M years ago, although small murmurs occur. The most recent earthquake of about 4 on the Richter scale was in 2002. The highest point of Spain, Mount El Teide (3,717 m), is on this island. The island itself is clearly divided into a very dry southern part and a very humid and green north.
Tacoronte is a municipality of Tenerife, a Spanish island. It is located in the north-east of the island. Mostly rural, the municipality stretches for 30 square kilometers from the volcanic peaks that rise in the center of the island to the Atlantic shore. The municipality seat, also called Tacoronte, lies 4 km from Tenerife North Airport and about 15 km west of the capital, Santa Cruz. Old manorial houses and farms are situated here, as well as vineyards that produce the wine known as Tacoronte-Acentejo.
The population is 21,986 (ISTAC, 2003), its density is 725.37/km² and the area is 30.09 km². The elevation is from sea-level to over 800 m. Tacoronte is linked with the TF5 Motorway and the old highway linking Icod de los Vinos and the capital.
Much of the area is made up of farmlands, although much of the population shifted from rural to urban and tourism in recent years, but not to the same extent as in southern Tenerife and municipalities such as La Orotava. The population is mainly urban today and its industry are businesses and tourism.
Tacoronte is a toponym of Guanche origin, believed to be derived from "Tagoror," meaning "place where the Council of Elders meets." Its territory constituted an ancient menceyato, as the Guanche kingdoms were known, ruled by the mencey Acaymo. After the Spanish conquest of Tenerife, the area was settled by the Portuguese Sebastián Machado, who founded the town of Tacoronte around the hermitage of Santa Catalina that he had built. The town grew during succeeding centuries and in 1911, Alphonse XIII granted the town the status of “municipio.”
In Spanish its inhabitants are known as “tacoronteros.”
Trindade's Related Pages
Isla de Tenerife Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tenerife - Island Of Surprises"
- "Tenerife or the heaven in the Atlantic Ocean"
- "Tenerife, An island of lava, blossom and animals"
- "Who cannot be happy here?"
- "Tenerife - Love it or Hate it!!!"
- "Back to the Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla de Tenerife
- Hotels in Isla de Tenerife
- Transportation in Isla de Tenerife
- Nightlife in Isla de Tenerife
- Restaurants in Isla de Tenerife
- Shopping in Isla de Tenerife
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla de Tenerife
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla de Tenerife
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Isla de Tenerife?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla de Tenerife
Photos in Isla de TenerifeSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Murcia Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Rio de Contas Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos, 2 travelogues
- Córdoba Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Brazil Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- São Paulo Intro, 1 review, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Castilla-La Mancha Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Ibiza Intro, 3 photos