"The pearl of the Black Sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Odessa by fipsi
Odessa Travel Guide: 496 reviews and 1,235 photos
The Russian Empress Katherine II the Great founded Odessa in 1794 which means it is quite a young city. It is named after the ancient Greek colony Odessos erroneously believed to had been once situated on the site of the outskirts of modern Odessa. The feminin ending comes from the fact, that Katherine II was a woman.
As nearly all houses date back to the 19th century, you find them all in unique "classicistical" style. The communists let them dilapidate but didn't destroy them. You see right at the moment dozens of houses beeing renovated, so that I have to come back in 5 to 10 years.
As a fan of music-theaters I wanted to visit the famous and incredibly beautiful Opera House, but they renovated it, too :-(
Nevertheless Odessa is worth a visit, but be prepaired not to find Western-orientated service. Waiters often give you the feeling that you disturb them by entering the restaurants, and in the museums you will miss English titles....
On the left you see a typical house in the city-center waiting for renovation.
In front of the house the monument of Marshal Malinowskij can be seen, who fought against Germany in World War II.
As already mentioned above, many buildings are beeing renovated now.
- Pros:Historic city center, hardly any Western tourists
- Cons:no English titles in museums & brusk service
If you have the time you can take a gipsy taxi to visit the Akkerman fortress in Bilhorod-Dnistrovs'kyy. more travel advice
The former palace of prince Gagarin now houses the Literary Museum. The rooms are beautiful (especially the Golden... more travel advice
fipsi's Related Pages
Odessa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Capital of Humor"
- " The Southern Capital of Ukraine"
- "La plus méditerranéenne des villes d'Europe"
- "The pearl of the Black Sea"
- "Odessa on the Black Sea"
- "0dessa - a visionary metropolis..."
- "Me & My previous ship in the Background"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Odessa
- Hotels in Odessa
- Transportation in Odessa
- Nightlife in Odessa
- Restaurants in Odessa
- Shopping in Odessa
- Warnings and Dangers in Odessa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Odessa
- 16 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Odessa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Odessa
Photos in OdessaSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odessa Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos
- Venice Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hämeenlinna Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Hamina Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Savonlinna Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Venzone Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Tampere Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos