"Valtice" Valtice by fipsi
Valtice Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 65 photos
Near the town of Mikulov and near the border to Austria, there are two beautiful palaces that used to belong to the Liechtenstein-family. The one is Lednice (German: Eisgrub) and the other one is called Valtice (German: Feldsberg).
Both palaces are embedded in a picturesque landscape, which is part of the UNESCO-World Heritage:
Between the 17th and 20th centuries, the ruling dukes of Liechtenstein transformed their domains in southern Moravia into a striking landscape. It married Baroque architecture (mainly the work of Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach) and the classical and neo-Gothic style of the castles of Lednice and Valtice with countryside fashioned according to English romantic principles of landscape architecture. At 200 sq. km, it is one of the largest artificial landscapes in Europe.
(from: UNESCO-World Heritage-Homepage)
The palace of Valtice was built in 1725 by the already mentioned Johann Fischer von Erlach, who also designed many important buildings in Vienna. Inside the castle there is not much to see, as most of the interior is lost (due to the Communists?).
Nevertheless the palace today not only has its own winery, but it also houses the "Czech Wine-Salon", which is really worth seeing (must-see-activity)!
fipsi's Related Pages
Valtice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My first Czech town"
- "A Wombat in Valtice Palace"
- "Valtice Palace on a Rainy Day"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Valtice
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Valtice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valtice
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odessa Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos
- Venice Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hämeenlinna Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Hamina Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savonlinna Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Venzone Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Tampere Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos