"St. Petersburg" Saint Petersburg by AndreasK
Saint Petersburg Travel Guide: 3,591 reviews and 7,731 photos
Zsar Peter the Great hated conservative Moscow and built a city early in the 18th century around the river Neva. In retrospect, it was absurd and irrational to build a major city in this desolate place. The waters channeled into canals are unclean, the river system connects only poorly to other parts of Russia. And unlike centrally placed Moscow, it was far from the centers of trade, at the edge of the empire.
But Peter wanted a total break with the past. He had already forced upon his unwilling countrymen new styles of dress, foreign ways, and now he intended to build a purely western capital, founded upon the latest European concepts of engineering, planning and construction.
If possible, visit St. Petersburg during the summer. The winter can be very cold, though not as cold as in Moscow. Catherine I. died of fevers and chills after the blessing of the Waters on the Neva in January. This ceremony always attended by the tsars played havoc with their health, as they were obliged to stand for long periods of time in freezing weather; and Peter's father, Alexis Mikhailovich, also died after attending this service on the Moscow River...
St. Petersburg‘ Academy of Sciences more travel advice
The Admiralty was built between 1806-23. It symbolizes and proclaims Russia as the major sea power it had become in the... more travel advice
AndreasK's Related Pages
Saint Petersburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Petersburg: a City for all Seasons"
- "St Petersburg : City of Peter the Great"
- "St. Petersburg in Spring"
- "STUNNING ST. PETERSBURG!"
- "St. Petersburg - City of cathedrals and bridges"
- "St Petersburg in Summer"
- "Saint Petersburg~ Russia at its best!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Petersburg
- Hotels in Saint Petersburg
- Transportation in Saint Petersburg
- Nightlife in Saint Petersburg
- Restaurants in Saint Petersburg
- Shopping in Saint Petersburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Petersburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Petersburg
- 13 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 141 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Saint Petersburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Petersburg
Photos in Saint PetersburgSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 25 reviews, 71 photos, 6 travelogues
- Pakistan Intro, 46 reviews, 47 photos
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 29 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Taipei Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Thailand Intro, 21 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos