"Andreas' St. Croix Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Christiansted by AndreasK
Christiansted Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 86 photos
St. Croix's history spans the rule of seven nations, each influencing the customs and architecture of the island. Columbus disovered the island in 1493 and called it Santa Cruz (Saint Croix). Subsequently, the island was under Dutch, British, French and Maltese rule. In 1733, the French Government sold St. Croix to the Danish West India & Guinea Co. for $150,000. The Danes allowed foreign immigrants to move in. The result was rapid development as everyone from the Spanish Jews to the Huguenots purchased plantations. The English dominated the populations and English became the language spoken on the streets. It was under Danish rule that the sugar plantations flourished. The markets in Europe were huge, and sugar cane could only be grown in tropical zones. For over two centuries, sugar was king! To this day, the sugar plantations scattered around the island are visible.
When around 1829 sugar beet became an alternative source of manufacturing sugar throughout Europe, the local economy went down leading to slaves riots. In 1878 the slaves burned much of Frederiksted and many plantations around the island. The last sugar harvest took place in 1966. Since then, the economy has become dependent upon tourism as a revenue source. Denmark sold the Virgin Islands to the U.S. in 1917 for $25 million.
Smugglers and pirates necessitated the construction of Fort Frederik in 1752. The city was destroyed by fire in 1758,... more travel advice
The island is located on the same latitude as Acapulco and Hawaii, below the Tropic of Cancer. All beaches on St. Croix... more travel advice
AndreasK's Related Pages
Christiansted Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic City"
- "Christiansted, St. Croix USVI"
- "Andreas' St. Croix Page"
- "After 25 Years of Marriage"
- "St. Croix US Virgin Islands my home"
- "Cabana Boy's Christiansted Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Christiansted
- Hotels in Christiansted
- Transportation in Christiansted
- Restaurants in Christiansted
- Shopping in Christiansted
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Christiansted
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Christiansted?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Christiansted
Photos in ChristianstedSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 25 reviews, 71 photos, 6 travelogues
- Pakistan Intro, 46 reviews, 47 photos
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 29 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Taipei Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Thailand Intro, 21 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (99)
Latest Christiansted hotel reviews
- Divi Carina Bay Resort and Casino
- 497 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- King's Alley Hotel
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 26, 2013
- Kings Alley Hotel Christiansted
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Hotel On The Cay
- 206 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- The Palms at Pelican Cove
- 759 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Chenay Bay Beach Resort
- 282 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Colony Cove Beach Resort
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 11, 2013
- The Buccaneer St Croix
- 1 Review & Opinion
- King Christian Hotel
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 31, 2013