"Cartagena" Top 5 Page for this destination Barranquilla by AndreasK
Barranquilla Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 107 photos
<center>Pedro de Heredia founded the city in 1533. The site was selected for its protected port, from which gold and products of the Americas were shipped to Spain in galleons and navy ships.
The gold scent made the city an attractive target for assaults. Five memorable attacks to the city were recorded in history - Robert Baal's, Martin Cote's, John Hawkins', Sir Francís Drake's and Jean Bernard Des Jeans' (Baron de Pointis). After these fierce attacks, Phillip II King of Spain ordered the construction of a walled system, based on forts and bastions, that became the most important military architecture construction in America during the colony, structure that paradoxically served, after the independence in 1811, to be used by the natives to defend their freedom from the reconquest forces sent by Fernando VII, giving the city the title of Heroic City since then and to this day.
Since 1985 Cartagena is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Like in many other tourist places of the 3rd world, there are lots of beggars, who will start being your guide before... more travel advice
AndreasK's Related Pages
Barranquilla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My second home"
- "BARRANQUILLA IS SAFE FOR TRAVEL"
- "La Arenosa"
- "Beautiful Barranquilla?"
- "hanspeter_W.'s new Barranquilla Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barranquilla
- Hotels in Barranquilla
- Transportation in Barranquilla
- Nightlife in Barranquilla
- Restaurants in Barranquilla
- Warnings and Dangers in Barranquilla
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barranquilla
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 59 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Barranquilla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barranquilla
Photos in BarranquillaSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 25 reviews, 71 photos, 6 travelogues
- Pakistan Intro, 46 reviews, 47 photos
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 29 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Taipei Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Thailand Intro, 21 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 27 reviews, 27 photos