Glacier National Park Things to Do Tips by lauriejeanne
Glacier National Park Things to Do: 177 reviews and 359 photos
Small but lovely...
Our first hike was more of a nature walk. We set out alongside St. Mary's Lake, listening and watching the waves lapping on the shore. A small detour to a point above the lake taught us to always carry a strong windbreaker -- I've never experienced such strong winds before! At the end of the trail, we came across this lovely sight (Baring Falls).
My fondest memory of this walk was the sunlight beaming through the trees, casting shadows along the path and creating shades of every form of green before our eyes.
Address: Going to the Sun Road
I let someone else do the driving :-)
Long, windy and very very narrow. This is not the road for the faint of heart. But the views from this drive will stay with you forever!
Again, the rock surprises me with it's bright colours. The water ranges from light green to deep emerald. The mountains in the distance, dark and foreboding...
Hard to take it all in...
If you do decide to complete the hike upwards, here's what will greet you! Unbelievably tall waterfalls fill this tiny lake. Rich, luch foliage surrounds it. This is unlike any other mountain lake I have seen! Bring a lunch and stay a while!!
Our third hike that day was the longest, but what an interesting treck! We started out in a cedar grove. If you don't feel like huffing and puffing 2 miles uphill, just do the nature walk around the grove -- it is relaxing and unbelievably beautiful. The cedar trees are huge!
Here we crossed over a small creek.
This is Hidden Lake. A steep and (again) windy hike up from the Naturalist Station brings you there. The way is immaculately kept (tons of boardwalk protect the surrounding foliage) and you stand a good chance of running across mountain sheep and mountain goats along the way!
Directions: Just continue along the Going to the Sun Road.
Chilly in summer!
Bright burgundy red rock layers with dark copper-green rock in these mountains. I've never seen colours like this in mountain formations before!
Beautiful but windy!
What a surprise to find how huge this lake is. As you drive alongside the shore, the surrounding scenery changes ever so subtly. Various forms of bright red and green rock appear in layers in the mountains -- a tremendous sight to see!
And no folks, this is not the famous "Spirit Island" (apparently the most photographed island in the world), but it sure looks like it!!
There are many hikes along the road. We did 3 of them...
Who dat dude???
...on the way to the falls.
See what I mean about the green??
Where the mountains meet the prairies!
...in it's abrupt shift from prairies to mountains! Not only the landscape, but also the foliage shifts instantly. The colours are always spectacular, but even moreso in autumn.
As you continue through the park, drive the Going to the Sun Road. It's a challenging drive but unforgettable scenery awaits you! this pic was taken as we were driving towards the park, still in Canada (Waterton Lakes National Park).
More Reviews (16)
- There are no end of...
- You can't miss it!
- See All Avalanche Lake
- See All Again, keep your distance...
lauriejeanne's Related Pages
Glacier National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Glacier National Park - Postcard Perfect!"
- "Walking in the Footsteps of the Grizzly"
- "Most Beautiful Park in the lower 48 states"
- "Glacier National Park"
- "The Most Beautiful Place on Earth..."
- "Glacier National Park"
- "Waterton/Glacier International Peace Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glacier National Park
- Hotels in Glacier National Park
- Transportation in Glacier National Park
- Nightlife in Glacier National Park
- Restaurants in Glacier National Park
- Shopping in Glacier National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Glacier National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glacier National Park
- 26 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Glacier National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glacier National Park
Photos in Glacier National ParkSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Calgary Intro, 30 reviews, 98 photos, 6 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 15 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pula Intro, 8 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Opatija Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Regina Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos
- Vienna Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cork Intro, 8 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 2 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 13 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues