"Kathryn's Oz Page" Australia by bkathryn
Australia Travel Guide: 44,988 reviews and 113,744 photos
I first went to Australia in June 1996, with a Canadian delegation going to an international meeting on criteria and indicators of sustainable forest management in Canberra, Australia. The meeting lasted a week and concluded with a field trip to look at forestry practices in southern New South Wales. It was very interesting and they certainly have many concerns similar to those in Canada, particularly with respect to native land claims and rights. When I was making travel plans, I decided that I could not go halfway around the world for only a week so I arranged to spend another week there on holidays. My husband took a week from his work in England and joined me. That was quite exciting. We rented a car and drove through the Blue Mountains, into the interior plateau and back to the coast.
My second trip to Australia was in May 2001, when I was again in Canberra, Eden and then in Jindabyne. As I'd already been away from home for close to three weeks, in New Zealand and Australia, I was happy to just go home and not spend more time. It was again, very interesting, though.
The Songlines, by Bruce Chatwin (ISBN 0 14-00 9429 6)
In a Sunburned Country, by Bill Bryson (ISBN 0999014935)
Oscar and Lucinda, by Peter Carey (ISBN 0571192920)
- Pros:Australia (the little bit I've seen) is a beautiful country.
- Cons:It's a long flight from North America.
- In a nutshell:I can't wait to go back!
We never saw any koalas in the wild so we had to resort to the zoo. Taronga park zoo is actually very impressive. more travel advice
In May 2001, while in Canberra, I stayed at the The Brassey of Canberra. This historic hotel is very nice and... more travel advice
bkathryn's Related Pages
Australia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Down Under"
- "Australia - you're standing in it"
- "♫ I COME FROM A LAND DOWN-UNDER ♫"
- "AUSTRALIA PAGE IS DEDICATED TO THE ANCIENTS...."
- "Down Under Roundtrip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Australia
- Hotels in Australia
- Transportation in Australia
- Nightlife in Australia
- Restaurants in Australia
- Shopping in Australia
- Warnings and Dangers in Australia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Australia
- 20 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Australia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Australia
Top 10 Pages
- Province of Ontario Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 6 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 34 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 45 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Province of British Columbia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 7 travelogues
- England Intro, 24 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Province of Alberta Intro, 15 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Argentina Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 20 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 26 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (19)
Top Australia hotels
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Perth Hotels
- 2280 Reviews - 4796 Photos
- Gold Coast Hotels
- 845 Reviews - 1806 Photos
- Sydney Hotels
- 5783 Reviews - 13452 Photos
- Adelaide Hotels
- 972 Reviews - 2107 Photos
- Canberra Hotels
- 847 Reviews - 2096 Photos
- Surfers Paradise Hotels
- 171 Reviews - 346 Photos
- Brisbane Hotels
- 1596 Reviews - 3435 Photos
- Port Douglas Hotels
- 227 Reviews - 586 Photos
- Darwin Hotels
- 685 Reviews - 2049 Photos
- Mackay Hotels
- 74 Reviews - 124 Photos
- Cairns Hotels
- 863 Reviews - 2188 Photos
- Geelong Hotels
- 316 Reviews - 662 Photos
- Hamilton Island Hotels
- 129 Reviews - 401 Photos
- Caloundra Hotels
- 52 Reviews - 107 Photos