"Home of the Phog" Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence by polrbear
Lawrence Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 398 photos
Every college basketball junkie should put Lawrence, Kansas on their "must see" list. Not only is it home to the University of Kansas Jayhawks, but a lot of basketball history crosses through Lawrence. The first basketball coach at KU was Dr. James Naismith, the man who invented the game (and he remains the only coach there with a career losing record). Phog Allen learned the game from Dr. Naismith, who in turn spawned such great coaches as Dean Smith (UNC) and Adolph Rupp (Ky).
During the men's baskeball season, you should come and experience what a game feels like in Allen Fieldhouse. Over 15,000 screaming, rabid fans cheering on the crimson and blue! There are always ticket scalpers outside the Fieldhouse before home games (or you could call the ticket phone at 1-800 34 HAWKS) and you can always find a ticket if you are willing to pay for it. If you go during one of the non-conference games over the winter break, seats are easier to get. Here is the online schedule:
"Phog" Allen was their first very successful coach and started the coaching tree that traces its roots and branches through some of the best college basketball coaches of all time. The Phog is also now the name given to the mystique that surrounds Allen Fieldhouse during a home game. Over 1700 wins (in the top 5 all time) proves their role as one of the top college basketball programs.
- Pros:University Town, much culture
- Cons:Nightlife best suited for under 25's
- In a nutshell:the coolest town ever
Two-screen movie theater that serves up beer, snacks, and independent movies. A nice change of pace from the usual... more travel advice
This Native American institute of higher education gives our indigenous people a fair chance at a good education.... more travel advice
polrbear's Related Pages
Lawrence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "University Drives the Growth"
- "Lawrence, Kansas"
- "Home of the Phog"
- "Culture And Progression on The Plains"
- "jayhawk's new Lawrence page"
- "brdwtchr's new Lawrence Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lawrence
- Hotels in Lawrence
- Transportation in Lawrence
- Nightlife in Lawrence
- Restaurants in Lawrence
- Shopping in Lawrence
- Warnings and Dangers in Lawrence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lawrence
- 45 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Lawrence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lawrence
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lawrence Intro, 45 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Simferopol Intro, 37 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 18 reviews, 10 photos
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos
- Prague Intro, 13 reviews, 11 photos
No friends yet.