"All Roads to the Crimea go through Simferopol" Top 5 Page for this destination Simferopol by polrbear

Simferopol Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 168 photos

The town itself is not really a "true" tourist destination. Although the Crimea is a popular vacation destination, usually people find themselves heading further south to Yalta or one of the Black Sea locations. Simferopol could more accurately be described as a transporation hub, but for me it became a destination in and of itself. The challenge was to find what might appeal to a tourist in the town, and it wasn't too difficult. Whether as a base from which to explore the Crimea or as a vacation spot in its own right, Simferopol is a beautiful city with lots to appreciate.

I must note that when I travel to locations in Eastern Europe I like to arrange for some local support to assist me. This makes many of the headaches of travel simply disappear. For my shorter trips, I used Eugene Glibin from Sevastopol (website at www.apartmentsincrimea.com). I find living in a rented apartment preferable from staying in hotels and he was able to arrange everything, including a quick transfer from the train station upon my arrival.

• Last visit to Simferopol: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 29, 2006

• Jul 24, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I'm not sure if all Crimean McDonald's have them, but I would suggest trying something unique, just for fun. When I was there, we tried the "Chicken McLawash". LOL! I loved it, but one of our companions detested it.

• thorhammer's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2005 at 10:40 AM

Very good tips, I am curious, I am in Atlanta and have been trying to find good airline tickets. Any suggestions?

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2004 at 2:51 PM

Very interesting page! Hope I'll make it to Crimea once...

polrbear

“Life without knowledge is death in disguise...”

Badges & Stats in Simferopol

Have you been to Simferopol?

Photos in Simferopol