"...beyond Kalambaka (over Kastraki) - Meteoraki:)" Top 5 Page for this destination Meteora by Redule
Meteora Travel Guide: 358 reviews and 935 photos
Kalambaka is just a little spot offering the shelter to a tourist who came to see its surroundings. It’s impolite to say “surroundings”, because it is… METEORA! At the beginning you’ll watch and wait your eyes admiring the sun setting behind the town Kalambaka, then you’ll get stunned finding the majestic scenery of Meteora mountains and after all you’ll get fix idea to build a monastery on the top of a rock (only after sunstroke;).
The word Meteora means “hovering in the air” and of course brings to mind the word meteor. Geologists try to disperse all secrets suggesting that the pinnacles were created some 60 million years ago in the Tertiary period, emerging from the cone of a river and further transformed by earthquakes, but none of theories have ever been proven. Greeks used to pick such places as Meteora for spiritual and cult interests since natural beauty and harmony touch people hearts and makes to believe in superior spirits.
Kalambaka, a tiny town built at the foot of the towering grey rocks, is the gateway to Meteora and one of the most ancient cities of Thessaly, earlier called Eginio and Stagi. During the Turkish domination the name changed to Kalambaka, which means beautiful fortress. During Second World War it was completely destroyed and then rebuilt. Today, about 12 000 people live there.
Between the earth and sky, at the tops of huge rocks Greeks found the best place … to build monasteries. You must visit them if you want to acquaint yourself with Greek Orthodoxy. The monasteries contain priceless historical and religious treasures from the Byzantine period.
The plain of Thessaly, where the rocks are located is one of the hottest places in Greece. The climate in this region is... more travel advice
- See All fresco on the rock
- Meteorian nights
- if you need an icon...
- how to get in, but not how to get out
Redule's Related Pages
Meteora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Meteora & Kalambaka"
- "A Place Devoted to God"
- "...beyond Kalambaka (over Kastraki) - Meteoraki:)"
- "''Suspended in the air''."
- "This is the place YOU HAVE TO SEE! "
- "Soaring Rocks..."
- "Sharrie's Meteora Ingenuity"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Meteora
- Hotels in Meteora
- Transportation in Meteora
- Nightlife in Meteora
- Restaurants in Meteora
- Shopping in Meteora
- Warnings and Dangers in Meteora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Meteora
- 33 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Meteora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Meteora
Photos in MeteoraSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Lithuania Intro, 31 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Meteora Intro, 33 reviews, 37 photos
- Athens Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Varena Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mycenae Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Thessaloniki Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Kavarskas Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos
- Greece Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Antalya Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos