Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Transportation Tips by victorwkf Top 5 Page for this destination
Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Transportation: 26 reviews and 83 photos
Hakone Sightseeing Cruise, Japan
Here are some beautiful photographs of Lake Ashi and surroundings taken on board the Hakone Sightseeing Cruise. The entire journey is about 45 minutes and it is very windy on the top viewing deck, and cold during autumn and winter so do take note :)
Hakone Sightseeing Cruise, Japan
One of the highlights of the visit to the Hakone region must be taking the Hakone Sightseeing Cruise to explore Lake Ashi. The fare of the cruise is included in the Hakone Freepass or Hakone Weekday Pass. There are 3 locations where you can take the cruise, they are Moto-hakone, Hakonemachi and Togendai. The boats are very colourful and interesting, either in the form of a pirate ship or missisipi river boat. Once on board the boat, you should go to the open top deck to enjoy the beautiful views of the lake and surroundings, and Mount Fuji if you are lucky to go on a clear day.
The Romancecar Train
Details of the Hakone Freepass is at part 1 of this tip. Here, I would like to share with you that there is a more comfortable train (called the Romancecar) from Shinjuku to Hakone-yumoto and return. This is like first-class train which you need to reserve and is garuanteed a seat (whereas you may need to stand on the normal train if it is crowded). However, you have to top-up 870 yen in addition to the 5,500 yen for the Hakone Freepass if you want to take the Romancecar. I have tried it and it was very good (more details at website below). One caution is that you need to reserve in advance as the Romancecar is very popular, especially during weekends.
Train from Shinjuku to Hakone-yumoto, Japan
If you want to visit the Hakone area, then the Hakone Freepass is the best and cheapest transportation means. This freepass costs 5,500 yen and is valid for 3 days. If you are going on weekdays for 2 days, then you can get the Hakone Weekdaypass (4,700 yen). Very comprehensive details are at the official website below. Essentially, this pass allows you a return train trip from Shinjuku station in Tokyo to either Odawara or Hakone-yumoto train stations (I would suggest Hakone-yumoto as it is more convenient and has better connections to other transporations) as well as unlimited assess to the various forms of transportation at the Hakone area for 3 days. These are the Okayu Hakone Highway Bus, Hakone Tozan Train, Hakone Tozan Bus, Hakone Tozan Cablecar, Hakone Sightseeing Cruise, Numazu Tozan Tokai Bus. If this sounds confusing, do not worry and go and read the website below and you will understand better.
Where to buy the Hakone Freepass?
There is a Odakyu Electric Railway counter at Shinjuku station, Tokyo which sells this pass as well as other passes. The staff can communicate in English and will explain patiently to you all the details and you can get the brochure, maps etc (all are very detailed and in English).
How to use the Hakone Freepass?
Just slot in into the gate machines at the train stations. For buses and lake cruise, just show this pass to the drivers and staff (it is very easy to use).
Please see part 2 of this tip for more information.
More Reviews (41)
- See All Grill squids at Moto-hakone
- See All Signboards, Information and Planning
- See All Visit to Kuzuryu Shrine (Part 5)
victorwkf's Related Pages
Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hakone: Lake Ashi, Mount Fuji & More"
- "The Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park & Mount Fuji"
- "The Izu Peninsula"
- "Fuji Hakone National Park"
- "Mount Fuji"
- "Mountain and lake"
- "BEAUTIFUL IZU PENINSULA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Hotels in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Transportation in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Nightlife in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Restaurants in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Shopping in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Warnings and Dangers in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Roxana Hotels
- Alleghe Hotels
- Valcour Island Hotels
- Chipoka Hotels
- Estado de San Luis Potosí
- French Guiana Transportation
- Saint John Transportation
- Camiguin Island Transportation
- Coogee Transportation
- Nafplio Transportation
- Austin Transportation
- San Salvador Transportation
- Bharatpur Transportation
- Isla de San Andrés Transportation
- Long Distance Buses
- Tartu Transportation
- Maracay Transportation
Badges & Stats in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- 45 Reviews
- 234 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Posted in Travel Slovenia Forum "Re: Schengen Visa"
- Commented on one of y_lyn's Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen travel pages
- updated a Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Travel Page "Hakone: Lake Ashi, Mount Fuji & More"
- Wrote a Review Grill squids at Moto-hakone in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Grill squids at Moto-hakone"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues