Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Things to Do Tips by victorwkf Top 5 Page for this destination
Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Things to Do: 79 reviews and 250 photos
Kuzuryu Shrine, Hakone region, Japan
One of the highlights of my visit to the Hakone region must be the visit to Kuzuryu Shrine (Nine-headed dragon shrine). In a way, I was lucky because part of my trip fell on the 13th of each month when ladies from all over Japan will visit this shrine along Lake Ashi which is famous for finding love for single women. The manager of my pension (Lakeside Inn Charlotte - see accomodation tip) helped to arrange for a few Japanese women staying at my pension to bring me there for a trip. This is something special which not many tourists have a chance to experience and I will share with you my visit to Kuzuryu Shrine at the "Local Customs" section of this VT page. It will be divided into several parts to show you the entire journey. Besides this shrine, the surrounding scenery is very beautiful especially in autumn (see photos).
Mount Komagatake, Japan
When you are in Moto-hakone, the view of Mount Komagatake is very good and this mountain is the highest in this region. It is possible to take a cable car from the Hakone Prince Hotel area at the foot of this mountain all the way up to have beautiful views of the Lake Ashi and surrounding region, including Mount Fuji on a clear day. Due to time constraint, I did not have a chance to take the cable car up.
Town of Togendai and Lake Ashi, Japan
While Moto-hakone and Hakonemachi towns are located at the southern end of Lake Ashi, Togendai town is located at the northern end of the lake and all these towns are joined by the Hakone Sightseeing Cruise which you can take with the Hakone Freepass. Togendai is a beautiful town which is extremely beautiful during autumn season with the coloured foliage. It is also the starting point of the Hakone Ropeway cable car to the famous Owakudani volcanic area. Some tourists do stay at this lovely town and one good recommendation near to Togendai would be the Fuji-Hakone Guest House which is cheap and very good according to the reviews. The website is below.
Hakonemachi town, Japan
Hakonemachi is a nice town which is located just next to Moto-hakone town (where I stayed during my Hakone trip) along the shores of Lake Ashi. Hakonemachi is within short walking distance (about 20 minutes) from Moto-hakone and it is a popular place for tourists to stay at the Hakone region. Just like Moto-hakone, it is also possible for you to take the Hakone Sightseeing Cruise from Hakonemachi. The only problem with Hakonemachi is the view of Mount Fuji from there is not as good as Moto-hakone because it is partially blocked by the hills across Lake Ashi.
Rose garden at Gora Park, Japan
The main attractions of Gora Park are the beautiful fountain and the rose garden near to the entrance. Those who has the Hakone Freepass or Hakone Weekdaypass will get free entrance to Gora Park. This park is very beautiful and a good place to relax, not to be missed when you are at the Hakone region.
Fountain at Gora Park, Hakone region, Japan
One of the main attractions of the Hakone region is the beautiful Gora Park at the town of Gora (see my tip on Gora Town). To get to this park from Gora town, after alighting from the Gora train station, walk straight to the main road and take the bus. You can also walk to the park from the train station but there is one part of the road which is rather sloped and quite tiring if you are walking upwards. Continued at part 2 .....
Town of Gora, Hakone region, Japan
Gora is a small and beautiful town in the Hakone region. This town can be easily reached by taking the Hakone Tozan Train from Hakone-yumoto station using the Hakone Freepass (see tips at the "Transportation" section. Once you arrive at Gora's train station, you will be greeted by two rows of shop houses selling food, souvenirs etc (rather touristy). One of the main attraction of Gora is the Gora Park (see my tips on Gora Park) or you can simply walk around this small town and enjoy the local way of life.
Hakone Detached Palace Garden, Japan
More photos of this beautiful garden which I visited in November 2006 as part of my Hakone trip. There are very nice views of Lake Ashi and Mount Fuji on a clear day, and there are a lot of walking trails here for you to walk and relax.
Hakone Detached Palace Garden, Japan
The Hakone Palace Detached Garden was formerly a summer imperial palace built in Tougashima in 1887, for the royal family and the foreign guests. After World War II, the palace, with the area of 15.9 hectare, was liberated to the public as a park. Visitors will enjoy a spectacular view of Lake Ashi and Mt Fuji from there. This garden is located in between the towns of Moto-hakone and Hakonemachi near to other attractions such as the Cedar Avenue and Hakone Checkpoint.
Hakone checkpoint, Japan
The Hakone Checkpoint is located near to the town of Hakonemachi about 20 minutes walk from Moto-hakone along the Cedar Avenue (see my tip on Cedar Avenue). The checkpoint was established in 1619 by the Tokugawa Shogunate government as a safe guard against the rebellion of subordinate feudal lords. Abolished in 1819 and restored in 1965 which is now a tourist attraction. Near to this checkpoint is a material museum which is also worth checking out.
More Reviews (23)
- See All Grill squids at Moto-hakone
- See All Signboards, Information and Planning
- See All Hakone Sighseeing Cruise (Part 2)
victorwkf's Related Pages
Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hakone: Lake Ashi, Mount Fuji & More"
- "The Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park & Mount Fuji"
- "The Izu Peninsula"
- "Fuji Hakone National Park"
- "Mount Fuji"
- "Mountain and lake"
- "BEAUTIFUL IZU PENINSULA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Hotels in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Transportation in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Nightlife in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Restaurants in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Shopping in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Warnings and Dangers in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Danshui Hotels
- Torrance Hotels
- Killadangan Hotels
- Paraparaumu Beach Hotels
- Sint Maarten
- Boca de Yuma
Badges & Stats in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- 45 Reviews
- 234 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Posted in Travel Slovenia Forum "Re: Schengen Visa"
- Commented on one of y_lyn's Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen travel pages
- updated a Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Travel Page "Hakone: Lake Ashi, Mount Fuji & More"
- Wrote a Review Grill squids at Moto-hakone in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Grill squids at Moto-hakone"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues