Oman Shopping Tips by victorwkf Top 5 Page for this destination
Oman Shopping: 22 reviews and 21 photos
Perfumes at Mutrah Souq, Oman
There are shops selling perfumes in the various souqs in Oman, including the Mutrah Souq in Muscat. The perfume in Oman is very famous and you should buy some for yourself, family and friends. There is a large variety to choose from, and it can be placed in a traditional bottle to make it look very presentable. A small bottle will cost about 5-10 Omani rials depending on which type.
Khanjars on sale, Oman
Many people in Oman still carry the Khanjar, especially in the rural areas where people are still very traditional. Khanjars are made of silver and a normal sized Khanjar will cost at least about US$100. If you cannot afford it, you can buy the minature Khanjars (also made from silver) at about US$15 each.
Famous pottery at Bahla, Oman
One of the things you must buy from Oman is the traditional pottery in the town of Bahla if you are there. The design is very simple and beautiful, and the price is cheap. They have lots of stuff like vases, frankincense burners, candle holders etc etc. More information & photographs are at my VT Bahla page.
Theme: Local Craft
A packet of dried sardine from Oman
When you are visiting the fish markets in Oman, you should buy the dried small sardines back home. What you can do is fry them and they taste very delicious when fried. One packet costs about 1 Omani rial and they can be stored for very long.
A packet of frankincense & its burners from Oman
Frankincense is a hard resin (comes in many grades) obtained from the bark of the Boswellia tree which only grows in southern part of Oman, Yemen and north-eastern part of Somalia. Throughout history, frankincense has been very precious and it was more valuable than gold in the past. Frankincense is famous for its nice aroma when burned with coal, and the Omanis use traditional frankincense burners (see photo) to burn it.
What to buy: Therefore, buying frankincense & its burner is a must when you are in Oman. You can obtain them for about 6-7 Omani rials.
More Reviews (66)
- See All Muscat, Capital of Oman
- See All Applying for Visa to enter Oman
- See All Round water container
- See All Date trees
victorwkf's Related Pages
Oman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oman - The Essence of Arabia"
- "Oman . . My Home of Three Years"
- "Beautiful Oman"
- "Eid Mubarak"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oman
- Hotels in Oman
- Transportation in Oman
- Nightlife in Oman
- Restaurants in Oman
- Shopping in Oman
- Warnings and Dangers in Oman
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oman
- 233 Reviews
- 513 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 11 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Oman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oman
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues