"Oman - The Essence of Arabia" Top 5 Page for this destination Oman by victorwkf

Oman Travel Guide: 1,289 reviews and 3,344 photos

What is Oman like, you may ask?

To answer the question, the photograph above taken by me in Jan 2005 is a good description of Oman. Let me explain below:

Oman is a very modern country (as represented by the Crowne Plaza Hotel on top of the hill) but yet it is deep into its Islamic tradition (as represented by the traditional clothings of the man and woman walking along the beach). Oman is also a country with beautiful scenery, and nice beaches as well as with a long coastline (see photo).

However, what cannot be seen from the photograph above are the friendly and honest people of Oman, as well as the sound and smell of the famous souqs, taste of the abundant seafood etc.

Oman is also a land of many misconceptions e.g. terrorism, nothing to see, safety, hygiene, language barrier etc. Contrary to all these, Oman is one of the safest and cleanest country in the world, and most of the people here can communicate in English well. It is also a very diverse land with mountains, forts, monuments, oasis, rivers, desert, beautiful coast etc etc.

Let me share with you my wonderful experiences & photographs of Oman in this VT page. Hope they will persuade you to explore this interesting country in Arabia !

Besides this main VT page on Oman which I will update regularly, I have also constructed VT pages on various areas of Oman to give more indepth information on each of these areas e.g. Muscat, Sur, Jabrin, Bahla etc etc. Do drop by these VT pages for more information & photographs.

• Pros:Beautiful scenery, friendly people, safe, full of culture etc
  • Cons:Hot weather during summer months, relatively expensive
  • In a nutshell:This is definitely one of Arabia's best kept secrets
  • Last visit to Oman: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 9, 2005

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2009 at 4:44 AM

Good page and tips on Oman. We will be visiting there in March 2010, and I am greatly looking forward to this.

• pvittoriano's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Thanks a lot. Great Oman pages. Any suggestions for the best beach in the Muscat region (not further away than an hour by car). I love beautiful\blu, shallow seas. Thanks in advance. Vic

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2009 at 7:48 AM

Hi, Victor! Wonderful story about this mysterious country.... Thanks a lot!

• Jul 28, 2009 at 10:39 AM

I would just like to thank you for the excellent work and insight.

• janiebaxter's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Excellent Oman pages!

• mad4travel's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2007 at 8:04 AM

Fantastic Oman pages. You deserve to be in the Top 5. Excellent Photos and tips. I was thinking of going there and now you have me convinced!

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2007 at 10:12 AM

Oman seems to be far more interesting than I was led to believe. I have only passed through .a tiny strip of it very briefly on my way to Khor Fakkan So saw little.Thanks for enlightening me.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2007 at 5:01 AM

Hello Victor. Excellent page on Oman. I will start exploring my neighbouring country very soon (after summer!) Yes, you are right about the floods. This year, they were very bad with cars being washed away in Muscat! Greetings from Dubai :-) Jess

• Dec 16, 2006 at 5:46 PM

I may have a job offer in Oman, and I've found your comments more than helpful ... many thanks! arashap

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2006 at 8:45 PM

Victor, You sure have been travelled to many exotic places. Enjoyed your pics of Oman. Thanks. Cheers, SL

victorwkf

“The world is what we make of it”

Badges & Stats in Oman