Anchorage Things to Do Tips by victorwkf
Anchorage Things to Do: 177 reviews and 323 photos
Lake Spenard at Anchorage, Alaska
Lake Spenard is the largest float plane base in the world and it is located at the southern end of Anchorage near to the airport. You can watch the float planes taking off this wonderful lake against the backdrop of the beautiful Chugach Mountains. There are also parks and hotels located near the lake. By the way, Alaska has the highest number of pilots to population ratio in the world, the reason being this is the best form of transportation in this wild and vastly uninhabited land.
Directions: Lake Spenard is located next to Lake Hood at the southern part of Anchorage near to the airport. The Earthquake Park is nearby at the coastal area.
The Chugach Mountains, Alaska
Hiking in the Chugach Mountains. The Chugach Mountains are located near to Anchorage and offers good hiking opportunities. The various trails will bring you into the world of beautiful mountainous landscape and wild animals. You can get a bird's eye view of Anchorage from the mountains. On a clear day, you can ever see as far as the Aleutian Islands. More photos and information are at my VT Chugach Mountains page.
Directions: The Chugach Mountains form the backdrop of Anchorage, and are about half an hour's drive east of the city. The most famous hiking trails are the Flattop Mountain Trail, Rabbit Lake Trail and Wolverine
Other Contact: You can get more information fro
Log cabin visitor's centre, Anchorage
Visit the log cabin visitor's centre. This place is the centre for tourism information on Alaska. It is also a very nice place to take photos :)
Directions: Junction of West 4th Avenue and F Street next to the old city hall.
Captain Cook Monument, Anchorage
The Captain Cook Monument is one of the most famous landmarks in Anchorage located at Resolution Park. The observation deck next to the monument has a fantastic view of the Knik Arm and Mt Susitna 'The Sleeping Lady'. On a clear day, you can even see the Talkeetna Range and the Alaska Range, and perhaps even Mt McKinley and Mt Foraker!
Husky dogs used in the Iditarod race, Alaska
This endurance dog mushing race from Anchorage to Nome is one of the famous events of Alaska. If I recall correctly, it occurs during the winter month of March every one. If you happen to be Anchorage then, this is not to be missed.
Tidewater glacier at Alaska
The Prince Williams Sond is one of the most beautiful places in Alaska. Trips can start from Anchorage to Whittler, where you will then take a cruise to admire the glaciers, wildlife and scenery. Years ago, the Exxon Valdez old tanker sank here and spilled lots of oil, but now the environment is back to normal.
Portage lake & glacier, Alaska
This is the most visited attraction in Alaska and is a short drive away from Anchorage at the Kenai Peninsula. You can even take a boat ride to view the glacier close up.
Historical City Hall, Anchorage
This building is one of the landmarks of Anchorage and is located at the heart of the city.
Earthquake Park at Anchorage, Alaska
The Earthquake Park is built as a reminder to the 1964 Alaskan earthquake that recorded 9.2 on the Ritcher Scale. Many people died and Anchorage was largely destroyed, and it remains one of the most powerful earthquake in the American continent. The park is a good place for relaxation, jogging, biking etc. It is located along the coastal area and there is one area which offers a very beautiful view of Anchorage with the Chugach Mountain backdrop. There are some monuments (see photo) which reminded us of the 1964 earthquake.
Directions: Located at the coastal area in southern Anchorage near to the airport and Lake Spenard.
Potter Marsh, Alaska
During late spring to summer, lots of birds of various species will gather at Potter Marsh and this is a wonderful experience. There are built walkways for you to view the birds with the backdrop of the marsh and Chugach Mountains.
Directions: Located along the Seward Highway about half an hour's drive from Anchorage towards the Kenai Peninsula.
More Reviews (10)
victorwkf's Related Pages
Anchorage Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not Alaska - But You Can See It From Here"
- "Alaskan Fun Starts Here"
- "Anchorage, Alaska: A Great City in The Great Land"
- "My 2 Alaskas"
- "Anchorage - Gateway to Wild Alaska"
- "frankcanfly's Anchorage Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Anchorage
- Hotels in Anchorage
- Transportation in Anchorage
- Nightlife in Anchorage
- Restaurants in Anchorage
- Shopping in Anchorage
- Warnings and Dangers in Anchorage
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cape May Hotels
- Massachusetts Hotels
- Byron Bay Hotels
- Lake Placid
- Los Barriles
- Province of Bohol Hotels
Badges & Stats in Anchorage
- 20 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Anchorage?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Anchorage
- Posted in Travel Slovenia Forum "Re: Schengen Visa"
- Commented on one of Jim_Eliason's Anchorage travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The wildlife in Alaska is wild..."
- Wrote a Review Captain Cook Monument & Resolution Park about Native Heritage in Anchorage Things to Do
- updated a Anchorage Travel Page "Anchorage - The Biggest City in Alaska"
Photos in AnchorageSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (99)
Latest Anchorage hotel reviews
- Hilton Anchorage
- 274 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Historic Anchorage Hotel
- 193 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Royal Suite Lodge
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2012
- Travel Inn
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 2, 2013
- Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2012
- Anchorage Downtown Bed and Breakfast at Raspberry Meadows
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 27, 2013
- Westmark Anchorage
- 169 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Marriott Anchorage Downtown
- 217 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- DEFUNCT Anchorage Mahogany Manor
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 26, 2007
- Anchorage Downtown Hotel
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2012
- Big Bear Bed & Breakfast
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 26, 2012
- Ramada Downtown Anchorage
- 148 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Rodeway Inn Anchorage
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2012
- Extended Stay Deluxe Anchorage - Downtown
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013