"Wachau - Durnstein and the Danube" Top 5 Page for this destination Dürnstein by victorwkf
Dürnstein Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 325 photos
Firstly, my wife and I would like to thank Michael (VT member globetrott) for giving us a really wonderful tour of the beautiful Wachau area of Austria as well as the historical city of Vienna during our honeymoon in June 2007. Both of us really enjoyed our stay at Austria, such a nice country!
Wachau is a section of the Danube Valley between the towns of Krems and Melk (located near to Vienna). The Wachau landscape is really good, consisting of vineyards, rolling hills with forested slopes, charming villages, historical castles, abbeys etc with the Danube River flowing across this landscape. In 2000, Wachau area became an UNESCO World Heritage Site because of its great mix of natural beauty and historical monuments.
The information and photographs of my Wachau trip in June 2007 will be divided into 3 VT pages, reflecting the different places of Wachau which was covered during the journey. They are as follows:
Melk (covers the town of Melk)
Durnstein (covers the town of Durnstein)
Krems an der Donau (covers the town of Krems, as well as other visited sites which are not covered under Melk and Durnstein)
I hope the information and photographs of the above VT pages will be helpful to you in planning for a visit to the Wachau area when you are at Austria.
Durnstein is a charming and laid back town located at a bend of the famous Danube River. The historical buildings and streets of Durnstein are very nice, as well as attractions such as the Kuenringerburg castle, Chorherrenstift and a leisurely stroll along the banks of the Danube River is a must when you are at Durnstein.
The Danube River is the lifeline that flows through the Wachau region of Austria, and many towns are located along its banks including Durnstein. One of the enjoyable moments for my wife and I are strolling along the banks of the river, and spending some time sitting at a bench watching the river (very romantic indeed).
- Pros:Great getaway from Vienna, very beautiful sceneries and historical town
- In a nutshell:Very charming and laid back town along the Danube River
My wife and I managed to walk past a restaurant in Durnstein and we saw this big fish tank full of rainbow trouts. This... more travel advice
At the western end of Durnstein, you will see steep cliffs along the Danube River and some houses are actually built... more travel advice
Written Feb 19, 2008
Sceneries of Durnstein
Written Feb 19, 2008
Traditional buildings at Durnstein
victorwkf's Related Pages
Dürnstein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wachau - Durnstein and the Danube"
- "Duernstein during pre-Euromeet in Vienna 2010"
- "Beautiful Stop on our Danube Cruise"
- "The Historic Dürnstein Town"
- "Dürnstein, the Jewel of the Wachau"
- "THE PEARL OF THE WACHAU"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dürnstein
- Hotels in Dürnstein
- Transportation in Dürnstein
- Restaurants in Dürnstein
- Shopping in Dürnstein
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dürnstein
- 16 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Dürnstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dürnstein
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues