"Wachau - Krems, Aggstein and Surroundings" Top 5 Page for this destination Krems an der Donau by victorwkf
Krems an der Donau Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 269 photos
Firstly, my wife and I would like to thank Michael (VT member globetrott) for giving us a really wonderful tour of the beautiful Wachau area of Austria as well as the historical city of Vienna during our honeymoon in June 2007. Both of us really enjoyed our stay at Austria, such a nice country!
Wachau is a section of the Danube Valley between the towns of Krems and Melk (located near to Vienna). The Wachau landscape is really good, consisting of vineyards, rolling hills with forested slopes, charming villages, historical castles, abbeys etc with the Danube River flowing across this landscape. In 2000, Wachau area became an UNESCO World Heritage Site because of its great mix of natural beauty and historical monuments.
The information and photographs of my Wachau trip in June 2007 will be divided into 3 VT pages, reflecting the different places of Wachau which was covered during the journey. They are as follows:
Melk (covers the town of Melk)
Durnstein (covers the town of Durnstein)
Krems an der Donau (covers the town of Krems, as well as other visited sites which are not covered under Melk and Durnstein)
I hope the information and photographs of the above VT pages will be helpful to you in planning for a visit to the Wachau area when you are at Austria.
Krems is a historical town where the town walls and historical buildings, streets etc are still intact till today. It was great exploring the historical part of town (just like going back in time). The surrounding areas are also very relaxing and beautiful, we managed to visit places like Schonbuhel Castle, Burg Aggstein, Stift Gottweig, Schloss Grafenegg etc (in addition to Melk and Durnstein towns). More information and photos of these places are at this VT page.
Here is a photograph of us taken at the Burg Aggstein, the famous 12th century castle situated on top of a hill built by the Kuenringer family. The views of the Danube River and surrounding landscapes from up here are amazing, and more information and photographs are at this VT page.
- Pros:Great sceneries, historical castles and monuments
- In a nutshell:A really great place to visit outside of Vienna
Besides Krems, 2 other nearby towns in the Wachau region which you must visit are Melk and Durnstein. Melk is well-known... more travel advice
Personally, I think summer would be a good season to visit Krems and Wachau area because of the warmer weather, flowers,... more travel advice
victorwkf's Related Pages
Krems an der Donau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wachau - Krems, Aggstein and Surroundings"
- "KREMS an der DONAU"
- "A pleasant day trip away from Vienna"
- "Wachau - UNDER CONSTRUCTION"
- "Not the Capital City of Lower Austria :-("
- See All...
- Things to Do in Krems an der Donau
- Hotels in Krems an der Donau
- Transportation in Krems an der Donau
- Nightlife in Krems an der Donau
- Restaurants in Krems an der Donau
- Shopping in Krems an der Donau
- Warnings and Dangers in Krems an der Donau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Krems an der Donau
- 20 Reviews
- 117 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Krems an der Donau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Krems an der Donau
Photos in Krems an der DonauSee All Photos (117)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues