"Wachau - The Famous Town of Melk" Melk by victorwkf
Melk Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 850 photos
Firstly, my wife and I would like to thank Michael (VT member globetrott) for giving us a really wonderful tour of the beautiful Wachau area of Austria as well as the historical city of Vienna during our honeymoon in June 2007. Both of us really enjoyed our stay at Austria, such a nice country!
Wachau is a section of the Danube Valley between the towns of Krems and Melk (located near to Vienna). The Wachau landscape is really good, consisting of vineyards, rolling hills with forested slopes, charming villages, historical castles, abbeys etc with the Danube River flowing across this landscape. In 2000, Wachau area became an UNESCO World Heritage Site because of its great mix of natural beauty and historical monuments.
The information and photographs of my Wachau trip in June 2007 will be divided into 3 VT pages, reflecting the different places of Wachau which was covered during the journey. They are as follows:
Melk (covers the town of Melk)
Durnstein (covers the town of Durnstein)
Krems an der Donau (covers the town of Krems, as well as other visited sites which are not covered under Melk and Durnstein)
I hope the information and photographs of the above VT pages will be helpful to you in planning for a visit to the Wachau area when you are at Austria.
The town of Melk is made famous by the Stift Melk (Benedictine Abbey of Melk), which is one of the main historical sites in Austria. The Stift Melk is really amazing, both the exterior architecture and facade, as well as the interior baroque architecture and museum, especially the the monastery church and library within the Stift Melk. More information and photos are at this VT page.
This is a photograph of Michael and me taken at the balcony of Stift Melk. There are great views of the town area of Melk, as well as the Danube River and surrounding hills from up here.
- Pros:Relaxing town and landscape, famous and very impressive abbey (Stift Melk)
- In a nutshell:Nice town with famous Stift Melk, which is a great trip outside Vienna
There are basically two ways to go to Melk and rest of the Wachau area from Vienna. The first way is by car and the... more travel advice
One of my fondest memories of Melk were the great views of the old town from the balcony of the Stift Melk. In fact, you... more travel advice
victorwkf's Related Pages
Melk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Melk"
- "Melk, a small town at the Danube Valley"
- "St Colman and Melk - The Irish Connection"
- "Melk & its Famous Abbey"
- "Wachau - The Famous Town of Melk"
- "Melk, a beautiful place and its baroque monastery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melk
- Hotels in Melk
- Transportation in Melk
- Restaurants in Melk
- Shopping in Melk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melk
- 13 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Melk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melk
Photos in MelkSee All Photos (96)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues