"Wachau - The Famous Town of Melk" Melk by victorwkf

Melk Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 850 photos

Part of my honeymoon in June 2007

Firstly, my wife and I would like to thank Michael (VT member globetrott) for giving us a really wonderful tour of the beautiful Wachau area of Austria as well as the historical city of Vienna during our honeymoon in June 2007. Both of us really enjoyed our stay at Austria, such a nice country!

Wachau is a section of the Danube Valley between the towns of Krems and Melk (located near to Vienna). The Wachau landscape is really good, consisting of vineyards, rolling hills with forested slopes, charming villages, historical castles, abbeys etc with the Danube River flowing across this landscape. In 2000, Wachau area became an UNESCO World Heritage Site because of its great mix of natural beauty and historical monuments.

The information and photographs of my Wachau trip in June 2007 will be divided into 3 VT pages, reflecting the different places of Wachau which was covered during the journey. They are as follows:

Melk (covers the town of Melk)
Durnstein (covers the town of Durnstein)
Krems an der Donau (covers the town of Krems, as well as other visited sites which are not covered under Melk and Durnstein)

I hope the information and photographs of the above VT pages will be helpful to you in planning for a visit to the Wachau area when you are at Austria.

The town of Melk

The town of Melk is made famous by the Stift Melk (Benedictine Abbey of Melk), which is one of the main historical sites in Austria. The Stift Melk is really amazing, both the exterior architecture and facade, as well as the interior baroque architecture and museum, especially the the monastery church and library within the Stift Melk. More information and photos are at this VT page.

This is a photograph of Michael and me taken at the balcony of Stift Melk. There are great views of the town area of Melk, as well as the Danube River and surrounding hills from up here.

• Pros:Relaxing town and landscape, famous and very impressive abbey (Stift Melk)
  • In a nutshell:Nice town with famous Stift Melk, which is a great trip outside Vienna
  • Last visit to Melk: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Feb 19, 2008

• taigaa001's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Melk seems to be nice. Thanks for sharing us with tips and photos.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2010 at 10:43 PM

I enjoy visiting Austrian towns and cities too...

• loisl's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2008 at 12:22 PM

I visited Melk about 38 years ago with my parents and your pics brought back some good memories. Cheers, Peter

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Melk is in fact one of the best daytrips from Vienna ! great to see your versions of the unique spiral staircase in Melk !

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2008 at 10:26 PM

Another beautiful destination in Austria.Thanks for sharing.

victorwkf

“The world is what we make of it”

Badges & Stats in Melk