"Calalzo Di Cadore - Gateway to Dolomite Mountains" Calalzo by victorwkf
Calalzo Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 123 photos
Calalzo Di Cadore is a laid-back town next to a lake and surrounded by the beautiful Dolomite Mountains. Calalzo Di Cadore is important in this region because it is the main railway station for trains coming from all parts of Italy to visit the mountains, especially nearby popular ski-towns such as Cortina d'Ampezzo (see my VT Cortina d'Ampezzo) page.
My wife and I managed to arrange for a day trip to Calalzo Di Cadore and Cortina d'Ampezzo by Trenitalia train from Venice in June 2007. We did not regret coming even though the weather was rather rainy. Essentially, we enjoyed the laid-back atmosphere of Calalzo as well as the natural scenery, which is very different from the crowds at Venice and the lagoons over there.
You should take time to visit Calalzo Di Cadore if you are at Venice, it is a good contrast and will make your trip more meaningful. Let me share with you some tips and photos, which hopefully will be useful to you.
This photo shows the town of Calalzo Di Cadore. Essentially it is a small and non-touristy town. Nice to just walk around and breathe the fresh and cool mountain air here :)
The Dolomite Mountains surrounding Calalzo Di Cadore are very beautiful. The Marmarole mountains of the Dolomites form a stunning backdrop to this town, as well as your road journey from this town to Cortina d'Ampezzo and other nearby towns.
- Pros:Beautiful mountain town, non-touristy, fresh air
- Cons:Rather far from Venice (about 3 hours one way)
- In a nutshell:Very good side-trip from Venice, worth the journey
The weather at Calalzo Di Cadore and the surrounding Dolomite Mountains are very unpredictable. Although the Dolomites... more travel advice
Calalzo Di Cadore offers a very good location for photography, especially with its lake, lovely houses of alpine design... more travel advice
victorwkf's Related Pages
Calalzo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Calalzo Di Cadore - Gateway to Dolomite Mountains"
- "Calalzo, another mountain town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Calalzo
- Hotels in Calalzo
- Transportation in Calalzo
- Shopping in Calalzo
- Warnings and Dangers in Calalzo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calalzo
- 16 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Calalzo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calalzo
- Posted in Travel Slovenia Forum "Re: Schengen Visa"
- updated a Calalzo Travel Page "Calalzo Di Cadore - Gateway to Dolomite Mountains"
- Wrote a Review Unpredictable weather in Calalzo Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Unpredictable weather"
- Commented on one of mapakettle's Calalzo travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues