"Cortina d'Ampezzo - Darling of the Dolomites" Top 5 Page for this destination Cortina d'Ampezzo by victorwkf

Cortina d'Ampezzo Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 231 photos

Part of my honeymoon in June 2007

Cortina d'Ampezzo is a famous alpine town in northern Italy, surrounded by the beautiful Dolomite Mountains in all directions. This town is famous for it's winter activities and have attracted many tourists during the winter season.

During summer, Cortina d'Ampezzo and nearby alpine towns such as St Vito Di Cadore, Tai Di Cadore, Valle Di Cadore and Calalzo Di Cadore (see my VT Calalzo page) offer the visitors stunning mountain sceneries and relaxing towns, which are so different from nearby Venice and the cities / towns of the Veneto plains such as Padova, Verona, Treviso etc.

If you have the time and interest and is at Venice area, I would suggest that you spend one to a few days at Cortina d'Ampezzo or any of the surrounding alpine towns. This is a very good getaway, and I hope my information and photos will be useful to you.

This is the beautiful church at the town centre of Cortina d'Ampezzo, with the Dolomite Mountains at the backdrop.

Even though it was just a day trip and the weather was not that good, my wife and I enjoyed our experiences in Cortina d'Ampezzo and Calalzo Di Cadore (this is part of our honeymoon trip). We left Venice by train early in the morning and only managed to return back to Venice close to mid-night on that day, but we think it was worth it to experience the "off the beaten path" locations in northern Italy :)

• Pros:Charming town, great surrounding scenery, famous ski resort
  • Cons:Expensive and rather far from Venice, language problems
  • In a nutshell:You need to come here to really experience the Dolomite Mountains
  • Last visit to Cortina d'Ampezzo: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 8, 2007

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Nice page! I love the scenery, especially your photo's with the Mountains & fog, makes them look mysterious.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2008 at 7:28 PM

The Dolomites look awesome. We enjoyed your Cortina page and tips.

• Manara's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2008 at 5:18 AM

Excellent page! Pity about the bad weather! The statue represents Albert I, King of Belgium. He was a lover of mountains and one of the first VIPs who "discovered" Cortina about 100 years ago.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2007 at 5:18 AM

Very useful transportation tips to Cortina. Enjoyed reading about your trip there :)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2007 at 11:24 AM

you had quite good weather in the Dolomites :-))

victorwkf

“The world is what we make of it”

Badges & Stats in Cortina d'Ampezzo

Have you been to Cortina d'Ampezzo?

Latest Activity in Cortina d'Ampezzo