"Murano - More than just the Island of Glass" Top 5 Page for this destination Murano by victorwkf
Murano Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 327 photos
Murano is a small island situated North-east of Venice, about 10-20 minutes away if you are taking the Valporetto (water buses). Murano is often known as the "Island of Glass" because it is famous worldwide for its glass-makers, which produce some of the most beautiful glass pieces in the world since centuries ago.
As the island is small, it can be visited as a day trip together with other nearby famous islands such as Burano (see my VT Burano page), Torcello and Lido (see my VT Lido page).
Let me share with you some information and photographs of my trip to Murano in June 2007, which hopefully will be useful to you.
When you are in Murano, you will see many shops selling the famous Murano glass as shown in this photograph. There are many designs and types, as well as the price can range from $10 euros for a item (e.g. photo frame) to very expensive decorative items made of Murano glass, so it all depends on your taste and budget.
Although Murano is famous for its glass, there are other charms about this small island which you should take time to slowly experience. Walk slowly here along the streets and you will go into the life of the local people, see how they go about their daily chores such as selling vegetables, transferring goods, chit-chatting etc. Although not as grand as Venice, my wife and I find Murano (as well as Burano) to be cosy and more "real" as compared to touristy Venice.
- Pros:Famous Murano glass, charming little island which is easy to explore
- Cons:The beautiful items made from Murano glass can be very expensive
- In a nutshell:Murano is definitely worth visiting when you are in Venice, especially if you are on a free and easy trip
The journey from Venice to Murano on the valporetto (water bus) takes about 10-20 minutes and gives you a nice exprience... more travel advice
When you are at Murano, you will be able to see boats on the canal parked along the banks selling fruits, vegetables and... more travel advice
victorwkf's Related Pages
Murano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Murano - More than just the Island of Glass"
- "Murano - Venetian Island of Glass"
- "The Glass Island"
- "Famous for Glass"
- "Made in Murano"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Murano
- Hotels in Murano
- Transportation in Murano
- Nightlife in Murano
- Restaurants in Murano
- Shopping in Murano
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Murano
- 14 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Murano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Murano
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues