Sur Things to Do Tips by victorwkf
Sur Things to Do: 11 reviews and 9 photos
Dhows mooring at Ras Al Hadd bay, Oman
The traditional dhows (wooden boats) of the locals are moored at the picturesque Ras Al Hadd bay. These dhows are actually fishing boats which the local fishermen make a living. The best time to view is during the morning or evening.
The beach at Ras Al Hadd, Oman
The beach of the Turtle Beach Resort at Ras Al Hadd bay is very beautiful, and the water is very calm for swimming and other sea activities because it is protected by the rocks of the bay. To use this reach, you have to stay at the Turtle Beach Resort (see my VT accomodations tip)
Ras Al Jinz beach, Oman
The beach at Ras Al Jinz is very nice with very few tourists. You can see some locals having a picnic and enjoying the beach, some seagulls and turtles coming ashore for nesting. It is good to spent sometime to enjoy this beach.
The beach at Ras Al Jinz, Oman
Ras Al Jinz is the most eastern point of the Arabian peninsula and its main attractions are the wonderful beaches and the many turtles which come here to nest every year. In order to view the turtles, you have to go to the turtle viewing area at Ras Al Jinz at night. You will have to get a permit on the spot and there will be a guide to bring the group around with some explanation. No flash photography is allowed, and noise and lights should be kept to a minimum. Needlessly to say, you are not supposed to touch or disturb the turtles but sad to say, some people still do that.
There is a big and shallow bay surrounding Sur and you will notice many soccer goal posts sticking out of the water. During low tide, all the water will be gone and the locals will actually play soccer here. Very interesting indeed !
Watch towers at Sur, Oman
There are many watch towers in Oman surrounding the many forts, but the watch towers of Sur are interesting because of thier close proximity to the sea, and the two towers are quite close to one another.
Lighthouse & old part of Sur, Oman
The old part of Sur is located in the south of this coastal town and consists of traditional mud buildings and a prominent lighthouse guarding the water channel entering Sur. It is worth a visit if you have sufficient time here.
Building the dhow for Sultan Qaboos at Sur, Oman
When I was there in Jan 2005, one of the traditional dhow yards at Sur was building the new dhow for Sultan Qaboos, ruler of Oman. It was at the half way stage and was expected to complete in early 2006. If you are visiting Sur soon, you can visit and admire the sheer beauty of the dhow meant for the ruler himself.
Building a dhow the traditional way at Sur
The coastal town of Sur is famous for its traditional dhow building yards. In this modern age of technology, the dhows are still being made by hand here, which is a slow and labour intensive process. This place is one of the main attractions of Oman.
More Reviews (15)
victorwkf's Related Pages
Sur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sur, Ras Al Jinz & Ras Al Hadd"
- "SUR HOME OF THE DHOW"
- "The cradle of the dhows"
- "A raid to Sur!!"
- "Sur Pictures"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Akuressa Hotels
- Philippi Hotels
- Arcachon Hotels
- Nizza Monferrato
- Weehawken Hotels
Badges & Stats in Sur
- 24 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Sur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sur
Photos in SurSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues