"Bandar Seri Begawan - Capital of Brunei Sultanate" Top 5 Page for this destination Bandar Seri Begawan by victorwkf
Bandar Seri Begawan Travel Guide: 334 reviews and 1,162 photos
The city of Bandar Seri Begawan (formely called Brunei Town) is the capital of the sultanate of Brunei, a small kingdom located on the island of Kalimantan (formerly called Borneo) in South East Asia. Brunei is surrounded by the state of Sarawak of Malaysia, and gained independence in the 1980s.
The population of Brunei is about 400,000 people, and it is one of the wealthest country in the world because of it's oil (majority in the sea). The Sultan of Brunei is one of the richest person in the world, and wealth is distributed to the people via many incentives such as free education, medical fees etc.
Brunei is a strict Islamic kingdom, which means that alcohol is not allowed and entertainment is stricted. I have a chance to visit Brunei in July 2007 for a meeting and managed to explore the city of Bandar Seri Begawan and it's surroundings. Let me share with you my experiences and photos, and hopefully they will be useful to you.
Despite the modern age, there are still many people in Bandar Seri Begawan living on the Brunei River in the form of water villages called Kampong Ayer (i.e. water village in Malay). This is one of the main attractions and please see my tips for more information.
The town centre area of Bandar Seri Begawan is small and easy to walk around, and most of the main attractions of the city are located here. Bandar Seri Begawan is a very safe place to walk around the streets, and the locals and friendly (and most of them can communicate in English nowadays).
- Pros:Beautiful architecture, friendly people, good food
- Cons:Rather small and quiet city, which can be pro or con to different people
- In a nutshell:A very relaxing city which I truely enjoyed exploring
Besides the city of Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei offers other attractions all over the country as well. Below are some of... more travel advice
There is an impressive fountain at Yayasan shopping complex in-between the two buildings of the shopping complex. In... more travel advice
- See All Brunei dollars versus Singapore dollars
- See All Taman HJ Sir Muda Omar Ali Saiffuddien...
- See All The 6 star hotel of Brunei
victorwkf's Related Pages
Bandar Seri Begawan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bandar Seri Begawan - Capital of Brunei Sultanate"
- "Brunei's capital"
- "BSB - Don't expect the Middle East"
- "OIL RICH SULTANATE"
- "Bandar Seri Begawan - Capital of an Oil Sultanate"
- "Bandar Seri Begawan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Hotels in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Transportation in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Nightlife in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Restaurants in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Shopping in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Warnings and Dangers in Bandar Seri Begawan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bandar Seri Begawan
- 44 Reviews
- 212 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (160)
Have you been to Bandar Seri Begawan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Posted in Travel Slovenia Forum "Re: Schengen Visa"
- updated a Bandar Seri Begawan Travel Page "Bandar Seri Begawan - Capital of Brunei Sultanate"
- Commented on one of Waxbag's Bandar Seri Begawan travel pages
- Wrote a Review Popular trips out of Bandar Seri Begawan in Bandar Seri Begawan Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Small park along Brunei River"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues