"Bandar Seri Begawan - Capital of Brunei Sultanate" Top 5 Page for this destination Bandar Seri Begawan by victorwkf

Bandar Seri Begawan Travel Guide: 334 reviews and 1,162 photos

The city of Bandar Seri Begawan (formely called Brunei Town) is the capital of the sultanate of Brunei, a small kingdom located on the island of Kalimantan (formerly called Borneo) in South East Asia. Brunei is surrounded by the state of Sarawak of Malaysia, and gained independence in the 1980s.

The population of Brunei is about 400,000 people, and it is one of the wealthest country in the world because of it's oil (majority in the sea). The Sultan of Brunei is one of the richest person in the world, and wealth is distributed to the people via many incentives such as free education, medical fees etc.

Brunei is a strict Islamic kingdom, which means that alcohol is not allowed and entertainment is stricted. I have a chance to visit Brunei in July 2007 for a meeting and managed to explore the city of Bandar Seri Begawan and it's surroundings. Let me share with you my experiences and photos, and hopefully they will be useful to you.

Despite the modern age, there are still many people in Bandar Seri Begawan living on the Brunei River in the form of water villages called Kampong Ayer (i.e. water village in Malay). This is one of the main attractions and please see my tips for more information.

The town centre area of Bandar Seri Begawan is small and easy to walk around, and most of the main attractions of the city are located here. Bandar Seri Begawan is a very safe place to walk around the streets, and the locals and friendly (and most of them can communicate in English nowadays).

• Pros:Beautiful architecture, friendly people, good food
  • Cons:Rather small and quiet city, which can be pro or con to different people
  • In a nutshell:A very relaxing city which I truely enjoyed exploring
  • Last visit to Bandar Seri Begawan: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 28, 2007

• ucingitam's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Brunei's Health department are very strict when it comes to food hygiene, even these night market stalls are subjected to frequent spot checks and all or else their license will be revoked, so yea don't worry

• Feb 27, 2010 at 3:48 AM

Thanks for all the information and photos, both enjoyable and informative. There is so much I didn't see there, will be going back though. Wish I saw your page before I went.

• Oct 31, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Bandar Seri Begawan and Brunei its in my travel plans

• Oct 27, 2008 at 9:43 PM

had to leave the empire because of bedbugs. Management was indifferent and slow thought. Not apologetic . They were crawling out of headrest. We had to leave. we told work colleagues some said they only went for the day not overnight because of bedbugs.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2008 at 5:14 PM

A very helpful page on Brueni. I see we missed a lot of interesting things in the short time we spent there.

• THLIN's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2007 at 1:10 AM

I am fine now, looking for a job currently. Nice page, this country is on my to-go list. i think this country is like indoenisa more than malaysia?

• meiyergani's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Nice page of Bandar seri Begawan. Gani Bogor

• Bonobo2005's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2007 at 9:49 PM

Excellent page! First time I get to know something about BSB, But I'm getting only more curious now! BTW do u happen to have a spare B$20 note for my collection? ;-)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2007 at 6:45 AM

Great page!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2007 at 7:04 AM

You're right Victor, the architecture is marvellous. A very interesting page on a very scenic place which is largely off the tourist track.

victorwkf

“The world is what we make of it”

Badges & Stats in Bandar Seri Begawan

Have you been to Bandar Seri Begawan?