Serangoon Things to Do Tips by victorwkf
Serangoon Things to Do: 7 reviews and 9 photos
Tekka Centre at Serangoon area, Singapore
Tekka Centre is a multi-use building complex located at the junction of Bukit Timah Road and Serangoon Road. It consists of a wet market, food centre and shops.
In Hokkien, this market was known as Tek Kia Kha, meaning "foot of the small bamboos", as bamboo plants once grew on the banks of the Rochor Canal. The original market was built in 1915, and was located across the street between Hastings Road and Sungei Road. When it was torn down in 1982 and relocated at its present site, the new multi-use complex was named Zhujiao Centre, the Chinese pinyin version of Tek Kia. However, to locals, especially non-Chinese, the new word Zhujiao was both hard to read and pronounce. Eventually, the complex was officially renamed Tekka Centre in 2000 as it better reflected the history of the place.
Tekka Cente is a landmark in Little India, where different ethnic communities congregate. Some of the more notable shops include those selling Taoist and Buddhist paraphernalia, hardware shops, and tailors who can alter clothes in minutes. Interior of Tekka Market sell food and goods respectively. At the wet market, stalls sell seafood, especially crabs from Sri Lanka, and vegetables. There are also many Chinese stalls selling vegetables that are specially flown in from India.
Little India along Serangoon Raod, Singapore
Little India is the main attraction of the Serangoon area. This area stretches from the intersection between Serangoon Road and Bukit Timah Road (where the Tekka Centre is located) all the way north to the intersection between Serangoon Road and Kitchener Road (where the Mustafa shopping centre and City Square mall are located).
Little India is essentally an ethnic Indian neighbourhood found in Singapore. Historically when Singapore began it's history in the 1800s, the Chulia Kampong area was originally the area in Singapore where Indian immigrants would reside under the British policy of ethnic segregation. However, as Chulia Kampong became more crowded and competition for land escalated, many ethnic Indians moved into what is now known as Little India along Serangoon Road.
A visit to Little India is a must, especially near to the Deepavali (the Indian new year) where the streets and fulled with people and the festive mood. There are many attractions in Little India, which I will introduce to you one by one in the next few tips on Little India.
Directions: You can reach the Little India area by taking the MRT sub-way (north-east line), and alight at either Little India station or Farrer Park station.
More Reviews (9)
victorwkf's Related Pages
Serangoon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where on Earth is Serangoon?"
- "A glimpse of India"
- "Serangoon - Vibrant Area in Singapore"
- "Joo Chiat and Kampong Melayu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Serangoon
- Hotels in Serangoon
- Transportation in Serangoon
- Nightlife in Serangoon
- Restaurants in Serangoon
- Shopping in Serangoon
- Warnings and Dangers in Serangoon
- See All...
Explore the World
- Mazotos Hotels
- Almeda Plaza Hotels
- Lost Dutchman State Park Hotels
- Ringebu Hotels
- Provincia de Samaná
- Markt Bibart
Badges & Stats in Serangoon
- 11 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Serangoon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Serangoon
- Uploaded a Photo to "Views of mountains & hills from my home"
- Posted in Travel Slovenia Forum "Re: Schengen Visa"
- updated a Serangoon Travelogue "City Square Mall at Serangoon area"
- Wrote a Review Views of mountains & hills from my home in Serangoon Favorites
- Commented on one of Rachelynn's Serangoon travel pages
Photos in SerangoonSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues