"Pulau Tekong - Memories of Army Life" Pulau Tekong by victorwkf

Pulau Tekong Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 11 photos

Pulau Tekong (malay word fo Tekong Island) marks the start of army life for many Singaporean guys, including me. You see, guys who are fit and reach 18 years old must go for 2-2.5 years of compulsory military training.

Pulau Tekong is one of the major training centre for Basic Military Training (BMT), the first 3 months of recruit training whereby there are lots of sweat, hardship etc. I doubt you will have chance to visit Pulau Tekong because it is a restricted area for the army. However, I would like to share with you some memories of my army life on the island and thereafter .....

Where is Pulau Tekong island ? Well, it is an island located off the north-eastern shores of Singapore in the Changi area next to Pulau Ubin island (go to my VT Pulau Ubin page for more information). Both Pulau Tekong and Pulau Ubin is very close to the state of Johor of Malaysia.

This is a photograph of Pulau Tekong island which I took from an airplane which was about to land at Singapore's Changi Airport during Aug 2005. Noticed that there is now some land reclaimation works going on near to Pulau Tekong (see sand bar on the photo).

• In a nutshell:A place where many Singapore guys will always remember
  • Last visit to Pulau Tekong: Mar 1989
  • Intro Updated Oct 8, 2005

Travelogues (1)

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2007 at 9:22 AM

Those army days.. Now, we have National Service in Malaysia. But only a few months. Thanks for sharing.

• THLIN's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2006 at 7:24 AM

I have left my BTM already, my unit is in charge of oil... I don't know anything except doucment work...lol

• Jun 14, 2006 at 7:28 AM

dude, that's still the ritz compared to when I was on the island between '81 and '83. We, being the pioneering battalion, lived in wooden barracks and there was the one bitumen road.

• leonik's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2004 at 8:10 AM

memories indeed... haha. nice page about p. tekong. now if only tourists are allowed entry. -lol-

victorwkf

“The world is what we make of it”

Badges & Stats in Pulau Tekong

Have you been to Pulau Tekong?

Latest Activity in Pulau Tekong