"Pulau Tembakul - Pilgrimage to Kusu Island" Pulau Tembakul by victorwkf
Pulau Tembakul Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 112 photos
Kusu Island is one of the Southern Islands in Singapore, located about 5.6 kilometres to the south of the main island of Singapore, off the Straits of Singapore. The name means "Tortoise Island" or "Turtle Island" in Chinese. Kusu Island is also known as Peak Island or Pulau Tembakul in Malay.
Each year during the ninth lunar month (which falls between Sep and Nov according to the Lunar Calendar), thousands of local devotees flock to the island for their annual Kusu Pilgrimage to pay homage for good health, peace, happiness, good luck and prosperity.
I visited Kusu Island several times, the latest being the annual pilgrimage in October 2007. Hope the information and photos on this VT page will be useful to you.
Other than the annual Kusu pilgrimage, you can visit Kusu Island during any time of the year (which will be quiet and more relaxed). There are nice beaches, parks and swimming lagoon here to spend a nice and relaxing day. The island is very small, clean, well-paved and easy to move around.
The famous monuments on Kusu Island are the Tua Pek Kong temple, tortoise statues and sanctuary as well as the three kramats (holy shrines of Malay saints) located on top of a small hill on the island.
- Pros:Very nice and relaxing island, full of history and religion
- Cons:Off the beaten path
- In a nutshell:Nice getaway if you have time to spend in Singapore
There are several wooden towers on Kusu Island. You can climb up to have good views of the island, beach and surrounding... more travel advice
The main lagoon or pond on Kusu Island is located just next to the famous Tua Pek Kong temple. There is a temple... more travel advice
victorwkf's Related Pages
Pulau Tembakul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pulau Tembakul - Pilgrimage to Kusu Island"
- Create a Pulau Tembakul Travel Page
- Things to Do in Pulau Tembakul
- Transportation in Pulau Tembakul
- Restaurants in Pulau Tembakul
- Shopping in Pulau Tembakul
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Tembakul
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulau Tembakul
- 26 Reviews
- 112 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Pulau Tembakul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Tembakul
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues