"Tanjong Pagar - Historical & Colourful Area" Tanjong Pagar by victorwkf
Tanjong Pagar Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 86 photos
Tanjong Pagar is a famous historic district located within the Central Business District in Singapore next to the famous Chinatown area.
Tanjong Pagar in Malay means "cape of stakes". The original name for Tanjong Pagar is also said to be Salinter, a fishing village. When the Tanjong Pagar Dock Company (1864) was formed due to the growth of shipping activities in the 1850s, wharves were built. Tanjong is "cape" and pagar means "fence" or enclosed space, i.e. wharf where ships are moored. Tanjong Pagar Road is known as tan jiong pa kat in Hokkien.
I will visit Tanjong Pagar every now and then, and would like to share with all of you this historical place in the heart of Singapore city. Do drop by and have a visit when you are in Singapore.
- Pros:Beautiful architecture, full of history, next to Chinatown area
- Cons:Be careful at night as there are lots of pubs and drinking in this area
- In a nutshell:This place is a must visit if you are interested in architecture of buildings
South Bridge Road is a major road of the Chinatown area of Singapore, which is just next to the Tanjong Pagar area.... more travel advice
The Maxwell House is located along Maxwell Road, just across the road to the URA Building and Maxwell Food Court. There... more travel advice
victorwkf's Related Pages
Tanjong Pagar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tanjong Pagar - Historical & Colourful Area"
- Create a Tanjong Pagar Travel Page
- Things to Do in Tanjong Pagar
- Hotels in Tanjong Pagar
- Transportation in Tanjong Pagar
- Restaurants in Tanjong Pagar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tanjong Pagar
- 25 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (160)
Have you been to Tanjong Pagar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tanjong Pagar
Photos in Tanjong PagarSee All Photos (86)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues