"Hanoi - City of Absorbing Sights and Sounds" Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi by victorwkf

Hanoi Travel Guide: 2,747 reviews and 6,065 photos

Tips and photos will be added periodically ......

My visit to Hanoi and northern Vietnam in December 2006 was an interesting one because it was rather unexpected. Having visited China and Japan in Oct-Nov 2006, I was rather exhausted from travelling. To my surprise, I had to go to Hanoi to attend a meeting in December 2006 because one of my bosses could not make it. Therefore, I started to look through VT and other resources to piece up an itinerary which included Hanoi, Ha Long Bay and Sapa. A big thank you to many VT members who shared their very useful tips on Hanoi with me.

Before I went to Hanoi, I did not really expect much from this city. However, it turned out to be a really fantastic trip for both me and my wife because this city is full of nostalga as well as absorbing sights and sounds. Also, most of the major attractions are within walking distance, and the best way to experience this city is really by walking around.

Hanoi is known as a city of lakes as there are many lakes and trees all around the city, the biggest being the West Lake (Ho Tay) and the most famous in the city centre being the Lake of the Restored Sword (Ho Hoan Kiem).

Let me share with you my experiences and photographs of Hanoi, which hopefully will be useful to you.

The beautiful thing about Hanoi is the interesting contrasts of architecture, ranging from the traditional old buildings of the Old Quarter to the European style huge buildings of the French Quarter to the Communist monuments at the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum and surrounding areas.

Hanoi is full of very beautiful architecture and temples, and you really need to spend at least a few days to visit them all. The temples in Hanoi and Vietnam have very interesting and unique architecture such as the Quan Su Pagoda as shown in this photograph.

Because of the huge amount of tips and photos, I will updated them from time to time, so do keep a lookout for the updates.

• Pros:The sights, sounds and smell of food are really amazing
  • Cons:Chaotic, bad traffic, rather dusty at some places
  • In a nutshell:One of the most charming cities in Asia with unique character
  • Last visit to Hanoi: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 20, 2007

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Very nice page with good pics and lots of info.

• yellowbell's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Stopping by Victor, just to compare Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh. :-)

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Hi, Nice page of Hanoi. Bring back fond memories. I enjoyed the beef noodles there. Cheers,SL

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2010 at 7:23 AM

Thanks for stopping by Victor....Ill have to drop in soon....I'm on the fly but wanted to say hello and let you know Ill be back for some reading...Your pages look jammed packed with lots of info and GREAT photos!

• meiyergani's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2009 at 4:47 AM

Very nice Vietnam, thank you for the complete information and sharing and thank you for visiting my Lombok and South Sulawesi page. Regards from Bogor

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2009 at 7:47 AM

I would love to visit Vietnam - it is becoming quite a tourist attraction.

• planxty's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2009 at 6:31 AM

Victor, what an excellently researched and presented Hanoi page, it has been most helpful in planning my trip. Thank you, fergy.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Hi Victor! Amazing how that One Pagoda is not falling... very nice Hanoi tips and pics! Wow, is that real dog meat? And snake blood...yikes...Greetings from Arizona, Norman :)

• Jul 25, 2008 at 4:39 AM

U did a gd job, victor. I'll be visiting Hanoi this December, your tips and photos have given me lots of guide, especially on the food stall.Hope they are still there this december.

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2008 at 5:48 AM

Hi Victor. You have a great Hanoi page. I’m planning going there later this year. Thx for the tips.

victorwkf

“The world is what we make of it”

Badges & Stats in Hanoi