"Hanoi - City of Absorbing Sights and Sounds" Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi by victorwkf
Hanoi Travel Guide: 2,806 reviews and 6,210 photos
My visit to Hanoi and northern Vietnam in December 2006 was an interesting one because it was rather unexpected. Having visited China and Japan in Oct-Nov 2006, I was rather exhausted from travelling. To my surprise, I had to go to Hanoi to attend a meeting in December 2006 because one of my bosses could not make it. Therefore, I started to look through VT and other resources to piece up an itinerary which included Hanoi, Ha Long Bay and Sapa. A big thank you to many VT members who shared their very useful tips on Hanoi with me.
Before I went to Hanoi, I did not really expect much from this city. However, it turned out to be a really fantastic trip for both me and my wife because this city is full of nostalga as well as absorbing sights and sounds. Also, most of the major attractions are within walking distance, and the best way to experience this city is really by walking around.
Hanoi is known as a city of lakes as there are many lakes and trees all around the city, the biggest being the West Lake (Ho Tay) and the most famous in the city centre being the Lake of the Restored Sword (Ho Hoan Kiem).
Let me share with you my experiences and photographs of Hanoi, which hopefully will be useful to you.
The beautiful thing about Hanoi is the interesting contrasts of architecture, ranging from the traditional old buildings of the Old Quarter to the European style huge buildings of the French Quarter to the Communist monuments at the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum and surrounding areas.
Hanoi is full of very beautiful architecture and temples, and you really need to spend at least a few days to visit them all. The temples in Hanoi and Vietnam have very interesting and unique architecture such as the Quan Su Pagoda as shown in this photograph.
Because of the huge amount of tips and photos, I will updated them from time to time, so do keep a lookout for the updates.
- Pros:The sights, sounds and smell of food are really amazing
- Cons:Chaotic, bad traffic, rather dusty at some places
- In a nutshell:One of the most charming cities in Asia with unique character
- See All Hanoi Horison Hotel (Part 2)
- See All What you see and experience in Hanoi
- See All General Post Office
victorwkf's Related Pages
Hanoi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Adventure Continues in Hanoi ! Hanoi !"
- "Good morning Hanoi !"
- "Hanoi - City of the Soaring Dragon"
- "Hanoi - City of Absorbing Sights and Sounds"
- "MY 1ST STOP IN VIETNAM WAS......................."
- "Ignoring Hanoi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hanoi
- Hotels in Hanoi
- Transportation in Hanoi
- Nightlife in Hanoi
- Restaurants in Hanoi
- Shopping in Hanoi
- Warnings and Dangers in Hanoi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hanoi
- 76 Reviews
- 311 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Hanoi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hanoi
Photos in HanoiSee All Photos (311)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues