"Sapa - Mountain Magic of Northern Vietnam" Top 5 Page for this destination Sa Pa by victorwkf
Sa Pa Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 473 photos
Sapa is a small and picturesque hill town (former French stronghold) located in the mountainous area of Northern Vietnam close to the border with Yunnan province of China. This town is a main tourist attraction as people from all over the world take the train from Hanoi to spend a few days here relaxing, walking, enjoying the scenery, colourful ethnic minority groups, bustling Sapa market etc.
My wife and I were in Sapa during Decemeber 2006 and enjoyed ourselves. We were lucky that the weather was good but it was somewhat cold due to winter season in Sapa.
Let me share with you some information and photographs, which hopefully will be useful to you. Tips and photos will be updated periodically, so keep a lookout for updates.
There are several colourful ethnic minority tribes living in Sapa and surrouding mountainous areas. The most common are the Hmong (same as the Miao tribe in China), Red Dzao and Tai. They are one of the main attractions in Sapa and the target of photographers.
The people in Sapa and surroundings are self sufficient as they grow their own rice, vegetables, have their own farms and there are many rivers here. However, tourism has brought some modernisation here and some houses now have electricity. Nevertheless, this is still one of the poorest areas in Vietnam.
- Pros:Very picturesque place with colourful ethnic minority tribes
- Cons:Overnight train, unpredictable weather, mountainous terrain
- In a nutshell:If you like natural scenery, mountains, culture etc, then come to Sapa
Sapa market is the centre piece of Sapa town and not to be missed when you are there. The best time to visit in on a... more travel advice
I took a lot of photos at Sapa and attached are some photos which I would like to share with all VT members besides... more travel advice
- See All Water mills
- Department of Forestry Building
- Cafe at Royal View Hotel
- See All Catching a night train back to Hanoi
victorwkf's Related Pages
Sa Pa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sapa - Mountain Magic of Northern Vietnam"
- "Sapa - A Surprising Highland Wonderland"
- "Valley at 1600m"
- "Living in the clouds"
- "The premier destination of NW Vietnam - Sapa!"
- "Sapa to Visit the Hill Tribes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sa Pa
- Hotels in Sa Pa
- Transportation in Sa Pa
- Restaurants in Sa Pa
- Shopping in Sa Pa
- Warnings and Dangers in Sa Pa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sa Pa
- 40 Reviews
- 207 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (160)
Have you been to Sa Pa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sa Pa
Photos in Sa PaSee All Photos (207)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues