"Corregidor - Island of Bravery and Honour" Top 5 Page for this destination Corregidor Island by victorwkf
Corregidor Island Travel Guide: 239 reviews and 904 photos
First of all, I would like to thank Jing (VT member yellowbell) for her advice which was of great help to my trip to Corregidor Island in November 2007.
Corregidor Island is a small tadpoled-shape island (also known as "the rock") located on the mouth of Manila Bay and the South China Sea, south of Bataan Peninsula and north of Cavite province. Although small in size, Corregidor Island is a strategic Island which plays an important part in the military defense of Manila, especially during World War 2.
This island is a strong symbol of the courage and heroism of Filipino and American soldiers who held their ground against a strong Japanese force during World War 2, before finally surrendering after months of bitter fighting. Subsequently, during the retake of Corregidor Island by the Allies during World War 2, the Japanese defended it stubbornly before finally committing mass suicide inside the famous Malinta Tunnel on the island.
Now, Corregidor Island is open to public visit and it can be done via a relaxing day tour or even a short 1-2 days stay on the island. Let me share with you some information and photographs of my trip, which hopefully will be useful to you.
This photograph shows the remains of the famous Mile Long Barracks at Corregidor Island, which was the longest military barracks in the world. There are many historical attractions on the island, which you can experience during the day tour.
The main transportation of your trip around Corregidor Island will be via the colourful Tramvia (see photo and tip). The tramvia is a fun and relaxing way of transport, where you can sit comfortably in open-air transportation and be carried to one attractions to another. Very nice and relaxing, I enjoyed it.
- Pros:Relaxing day trip from Manila, full of history, beautiful scenery
- Cons:The day trip programme is rather packed, with little time to explore further
- In a nutshell:A very good day trip from the busy city atmosphere of Manila
There is a small souvenir shop at the Corregidor Inn if you are interested to buy souvenirs of the island. Besides the... more travel advice
During your stay at Corregidor Island, you will be able to see a few jeepneys on the island. Other than the tramvia for... more travel advice
victorwkf's Related Pages
Corregidor Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Corregidor - Island of Bravery and Honour"
- "The Rock"
- "Corregidor: Fortress of Freedom"
- "Corregidor Island"
- "CORREGIDOR ISLAND"
- "Corregidor, Bastion of Freedom Fighters"
- "CORREGIDOR: THE LAST REFUGE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Corregidor Island
- Hotels in Corregidor Island
- Transportation in Corregidor Island
- Nightlife in Corregidor Island
- Restaurants in Corregidor Island
- Shopping in Corregidor Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Corregidor Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Corregidor Island
- 41 Reviews
- 186 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Corregidor Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Corregidor Island
- Posted in Travel Slovenia Forum "Re: Schengen Visa"
- Commented on one of ukirsari's Corregidor Island travel pages
- updated a Corregidor Island Travel Page "Corregidor - Island of Bravery and Honour"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Guns and Mortars (Part 3)"
- Wrote a Review Souvenir shop at Corregidor Inn in Corregidor Island Shopping
Photos in Corregidor IslandSee All Photos (186)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues