"Gulmarg - Kashmir Winter Wonderland" Gulmarg by victorwkf
Gulmarg Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 212 photos
The alpine town of Gulmarg (meaning "The Meadow of Flowers") is one of the best winter resort and summer getaway in India. This small alpine town mainly caters to tourists and is located in the Afarwat Mountains about 2 hours drive west of the city of Srinagar.
During the winter months, Gulmarg has lots of snow activities such as skiing, sledging etc. During summer, this place is full of colourful flowers, with activities such as hiking, horse-riding, golf and other sports.
Let me share with you information and photographs of my trip to Gulmarg during the winter of 2007-2008. Hopefully the information will be useful to you, hope you can give some comments :)
Gulmarg is not a very big town and it is easy to move around. As this place is for tourists, it is very safe. The surrounding mountain landscapes are very beautiful and this is a good getaway from the busy urban life.
Gulmarg is located among the Afarwat Mountains which can rise to about 4000 metres above sea level. This place is very close to the border with Pakistan, in fact Islamabad is only a few hours drive from Gulmarg. The volatile situation in Kashmir due to the border disputes between India and Pakistan is the main hinderance for visiting Gulmarg, however the situation is OK when I visited in Dec 2007 (it is important to check the situation before you visit, but it is worthwhile due to the beauty of this place).
- Pros:Beautiful landscapes, good slopes for skiing and hiking, relaxing atmosphere
- Cons:Volatile situation in Kashmir, relatively off-the-beaten path
- In a nutshell:One of the best winter and summer resort towns in India
Besides Gulmarg, there are good attractions in the surrounding areas of Kashmir. They are as follows: - Srinagar: This... more travel advice
Although Gulmarg is a small town, there are a few religious attractions here as follows: St Mary's Church: The... more travel advice
- See All Monkeys
- On the way from Srinagar to Gulmarg
- Colourful vehicles on the way to Gulmarg
victorwkf's Related Pages
Gulmarg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gulmarg - Kashmir Winter Wonderland"
- "India's only Ski Resort: Gulmarg"
- "Meadow of Flowers=Gulmarg"
- "Kashmir, a paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gulmarg
- Hotels in Gulmarg
- Transportation in Gulmarg
- Restaurants in Gulmarg
- Shopping in Gulmarg
- Warnings and Dangers in Gulmarg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gulmarg
- 22 Reviews
- 134 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (160)
Have you been to Gulmarg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gulmarg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues