"Srinagar - Lake City of the Himalayas" Top 5 Page for this destination Srinagar by victorwkf
Srinagar Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 575 photos
Srinagar is a beautiful city surrounded by Dal Lake and Nagin Lake, set in the backdrop of the Himalayan Mountains of Kashmir. Other than this, the city is famous for its traditional wooden houseboats at Dal Lake, the Shikara (colourful traditional boats, like the gondolas of Venice) as well as traditional architecture such as mosques, forts, gardens, houses etc.
A visit to Srinagar is an unique experience for me because it is very interesting to even think about such a lake city existing among the rugged Himalayan Mountains (but yet it is really there).
Let me share with you information and photographs of my trip to Srinagar, which hopefully will be useful to you.
The state of Jammu and Kashmir is the northern-most state of India and it lies within the mighty Himalayan Mountains. As such, the landscapes are beautiful and sometimes it is known as "The Switzerland of India".
While this place is very beautiful, tourism is still hindered by the volatile situation as this area is hotly dispute by India and Pakistan. The big question is whether it is safe to visit? I will attempt to answer this question in the tips of this VT page. Overall, for those who venture into this land, you will experience the beautiful sceneries, culture, people etc.
Srinagar and the rest of Kashmir are predominantly Muslims, so it is important to respect the local culture, religion etc. Dress appropriately especially when visiting religious places like mosques.
- Pros:Full of natural beauty, architecture, culture etc
- Cons:Volatile situation, security, off-the-beaten path
- In a nutshell:A truely unique and romantic experience among the Himalayans
Here are more photographs of my visit to Gulmarg during the winter of year 2007-2008. Gulmarg is an alpine town in the... more travel advice
Srinagar is a city located in the Kashmir valley at an altitude of about 1730 m above sea level. The population of the... more travel advice
- See All Floating farms at Dal Lake
- Local Bazaar and Floating Market
- Traditional handicrafts and souvenirs
- Kashmiri Food
victorwkf's Related Pages
Srinagar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Srinagar - Lake City of the Himalayas"
- "Srinagar, Kashmir"
- "`Paradise on Earth'"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Srinagar
- Hotels in Srinagar
- Transportation in Srinagar
- Nightlife in Srinagar
- Restaurants in Srinagar
- Shopping in Srinagar
- Warnings and Dangers in Srinagar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Srinagar
- 31 Reviews
- 203 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Srinagar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Srinagar
- Posted in Travel Slovenia Forum "Re: Schengen Visa"
- Commented on one of MikeinIndia's Srinagar travel pages
- updated a Srinagar Travel Page "Srinagar - Lake City of the Himalayas"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lifestyle and culture in Srinagar and Kashmir"
- Wrote a Review Attractions outside of Srinagar (Part 2) in Srinagar Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues