"Suwon - City with a Famous Fortress" Top 5 Page for this destination Suwon by victorwkf
Suwon Travel Guide: 115 reviews and 305 photos
Suwon is a city located about 1 hour drive south of Seoul and is famous for its Hwaseong Fortress, which is an UNESCO World Heritage Site
Hwaseong Fortress: When the Choson emperor Chongjo moved his father's tomb to Suwon at the end of the 18th century, he surrounded it with strong defensive works, laid out according to the precepts of an influential military architect of the period, who brought together the latest developments in the field from both East and West. The massive walls, extending for nearly 6 km, still survive; they are pierced by four gates and equipped with bastions, artillery towers and other features. Hwasong Fortress is an outstanding example of early modern military architecture, incorporating the most highly developed features of that science from both east and west.
Surrounding Hwaseong Fortress are many beautiful historical structures, parks tec. You should take your time to walk around and experience the beauty of the fortress and its surroundings. More photographs are at the travelogue section of this VT page.
I hope you will find the information and photographs of my VT Suwon page useful. Hope you can give some comments and ratings. Thanks.
Lovely , colourful and beautiful flowers such as these can be seen in the city during spring, summer and autumn season.
- Pros:Hwaseong Fortress is an UNESCO world heritage site
- Cons:Touristy and crowded during peak season
- In a nutshell:Worth a visit for the fortress and it is near to Seoul
It will be good to find out beforehand the timing of cultural performances at Suwon's cultural village so that you will... more travel advice
One of the biggest problems of going around Korea is the language problem. People hardly speak or write English, and... more travel advice
victorwkf's Related Pages
Suwon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Suwon: the fortress city"
- "Suwon - City with a Famous Fortress"
- "SUWON- the fortified city"
- "Ajou University"
- "City of Fortress"
- "National Folk Museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Suwon
- Hotels in Suwon
- Transportation in Suwon
- Restaurants in Suwon
- Shopping in Suwon
- Warnings and Dangers in Suwon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Suwon
- 15 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Suwon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Suwon
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 153 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 92 reviews, 338 photos, 8 travelogues
- Naejangsan-kungnip-kongwon Intro, 74 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 76 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 58 reviews, 314 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 67 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tanyang Intro, 38 reviews, 262 photos, 10 travelogues
- Australian Capital Territory Intro, 52 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Intro, 45 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 55 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues