"The Jewel of the Mediterranean" Kerkyra by antz
Kerkyra Travel Guide: 380 reviews and 853 photos
Corfu is the northernmost island in the Ionian Sea and the westernmost part of Greece. It is a beautifully enchanting island, covered with olive groves, with sandy and shingly beaches and many mountains. Corfu is only 35 miles from north to south and offers the best of several worlds - beautiful scenery, value for money tavernas offering local fare and a wide range of accomodation.
Corfu has gone through many stages including: the Byzantine Period, which was during the Roman Empire; the Venetian Period; French Occupation and British Protectorate; and all of these influences can be seen throughout the island.
Although tourism has made its mark in Corfu, the Corfiots have hung on steadfastly to their old ways and traditions. Fishing is still an important way of life, serving the tavernas, restaurants and hotels.
The Corfiots themselves are very friendly people who seem to be content with life, which is understandable as life there seems to be very simple and stress free. It is important that you speak to the locals and get to know about their ways of life, they are fun-loving, outgoing and have a straightforward charm.
I have just come back from Corfu and I have fallen in love with the island. It is one place that I would recommend that everyone must go to. Everything about Corfu is amazing including the scenery, the people, the food and especially the weather! I love Corfu so much that I am going to look into going back to work for a while and to experience working on an island which has a special kind of magic.
For the first time, I went paragliding in Benitses! My friend dared me that I wouldn't do it - so I had to prove her... more travel advice
In Corfu town there are many narrow streets where the markets can be found. It is definately worthwhile taking a wander... more travel advice
antz's Related Pages
Kerkyra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Medieval atmosphere which is unique in Greece."
- "Emerald Island"
- "Two fortresses protect Kerkyra"
- "Kerkyra(Corfu Town)"
- "Corfu in a box"
- "Corfu Town Photos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kerkyra
- Hotels in Kerkyra
- Transportation in Kerkyra
- Nightlife in Kerkyra
- Restaurants in Kerkyra
- Shopping in Kerkyra
- Warnings and Dangers in Kerkyra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kerkyra
- 14 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Kerkyra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kerkyra
Photos in KerkyraSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Glasgow Intro, 23 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 18 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 14 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oban Intro, 17 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bergamo Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos
- South Africa Intro, 12 reviews, 6 photos, 2 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Frankfurt am Main Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos
- Heidelberg Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
Latest Kerkyra hotel reviews
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013