"My favourite place in the World!" Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor by antz

Alvor Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 373 photos

OK, everywhere I go is my favourite place in the world - but this is the first time I went back to the same place in Europe!! I am going again tomorrow, and this will be for the 5th time! Although this time we are staying just outside of Alvor.

Alvor was founded as a fishing village by the Moors and briefly achieved fame when King Joao II died there in 1495. Much of the town was razed to the ground in the earthquake of 1755 and it remained a sleepy fishing village until the 1960's when tourism began to take a hold.

There is such a friendly, relaxed atmosphere in this fishing village (village, it is the same size as Scottish towns!!) despite the fact that tourism has developed. The people are great, and all speak perfect English; there is lots of shops and hundreds (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration) of Irish pubs.

All of the houses in the centre of Alvor are surrounded by beautiful flowers.

• Last visit to Alvor: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 31, 2007

• Balam's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Have you been latley?

• Aug 27, 2007 at 4:50 AM

hi i am going to Alvor this weekend coming for a week and having read your tips i can't wait!!!

• Jan 23, 2007 at 11:30 AM

The dogs are strays. Its Alvor custom to feed and to vet them..At night, people feed them and sometimes people throw rocks at them. We were here for 2 weeks and passed the dogs every day. They are just looking for a meal and somewhere cool to sleep.....

• Jan 7, 2007 at 5:35 AM

Is this the only church in Alvor? If so I'm getting married in it in 2008. Great that these photos are here to help me make up my mind!If you have anymore...?

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2006 at 9:13 AM

Hello Karen! Alvor looks really nice and peaceful! I love Algarve though have never been here. Happy birthday from Finland!

• quartinb's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2005 at 5:30 AM

,,,been there also ! i´ll try to find mi alvor pics and built a page miself!

antz