"My favourite place in the World!" Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor by antz
Alvor Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 373 photos
OK, everywhere I go is my favourite place in the world - but this is the first time I went back to the same place in Europe!! I am going again tomorrow, and this will be for the 5th time! Although this time we are staying just outside of Alvor.
Alvor was founded as a fishing village by the Moors and briefly achieved fame when King Joao II died there in 1495. Much of the town was razed to the ground in the earthquake of 1755 and it remained a sleepy fishing village until the 1960's when tourism began to take a hold.
There is such a friendly, relaxed atmosphere in this fishing village (village, it is the same size as Scottish towns!!) despite the fact that tourism has developed. The people are great, and all speak perfect English; there is lots of shops and hundreds (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration) of Irish pubs.
All of the houses in the centre of Alvor are surrounded by beautiful flowers.
Finally, this time I found the beach!! It is huge. I walked along it for about 2 hours and still never got from one end... more travel advice
It would appear that a local custom in Alvor, is for all the dogs to come out at night and find a nice patch of sand to... more travel advice
antz's Related Pages
Alvor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alvor, A Lovely Place"
- "My favourite place in the World!"
- "Alvor - its quality not quantity"
- "Old fishing village"
- "Alvor, Portugal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alvor
- Hotels in Alvor
- Transportation in Alvor
- Nightlife in Alvor
- Restaurants in Alvor
- Shopping in Alvor
- Warnings and Dangers in Alvor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alvor
- 14 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Alvor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alvor
Top 10 Pages
- Glasgow Intro, 23 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 18 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 14 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oban Intro, 17 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bergamo Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos
- South Africa Intro, 12 reviews, 6 photos, 2 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Frankfurt am Main Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos
- Heidelberg Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos