"The Monchique Mountains (?)" Monchique by antz
Monchique Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 17 photos
Again, I only spent a few hours in Monchique as part of a day long bus tour around the 'historic Algarve'. Supposedly the 'Monchique mountains' , the highest point in the Algarve. However, I come from Scotland and these are definately not mountains!!
However, the view from Foia (900 metres) is pretty amazing. You can see all the way to the coast - Portimao and Lagos. We were lucky, and although most of the morning had been very overcast, by the time we got here, it had cleared up quite a lot and we got to see the beautiful view.
The journey on the way to Monchique was fascinating as it is along this road that you can see where the cork comes from. You will see that the trees are numbered according to the last time their top layer of bark was stripped. It is quite interesting to note that the redder (I think it was a reddish colour) the colour of the bark, the more recently it was stripped.
antz's Related Pages
Monchique Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Monchique - Portugal"
- "Inside Information from Monchique"
- "The Monchique Mountains (?)"
- "Mountains and green forest"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monchique
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Monchique?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monchique
Top 10 Pages
- Glasgow Intro, 23 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 18 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 14 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oban Intro, 17 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bergamo Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos
- South Africa Intro, 12 reviews, 6 photos, 2 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Frankfurt am Main Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos
- Heidelberg Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos