"Gran Canaria" Isla de Gran Canaria by antz
Isla de Gran Canaria Travel Guide: 417 reviews and 1,173 photos
I have to admit, I really didn't fancy Gran Canaria - not one of the places I really had the urge to go to.
After leaving University, we had decided that we were going to do a girlies holiday. We had all moved away, got proper jobs - grown up (?). We needed a bit of time to have a good old catch up and just enjoy ourselves.
I was quite happy to go anywhere, I just needed a break (ever had that feeling?) But the others really wanted to go somewhere warm. Well, in February, for a week, with not much money, there is not really much of a choice when looking for heat - so Gran Canaria it was. It meant taking an extra day off of work (Can only fly Glasgow to Las Palmas on a Monday - grrrr!), but hey it was a holiday!!
Well, we took over Gillian's house for a couple of days!! Made a complete mess and packed and repacked our things several times. I even went and bought a new bigger suitcase, god knows why, all my stuff fitted in the smaller one!! It must have been the travel madness!!
By the time we left on the Monday, spirits were high, and I was really looking forward to it, as I always do going away...even if it is to Tesco's! OK, I know, I am just plain strange...
So I get on the plane, and suddenly realise that I know nothing about Gran Canaria (I am normally one of these people that reads up everything before I go) but luckily one of the girls has a guidebook on hand - just what you need for a 4 hour flight!
So I found out that: it is part of Spain, it has a population of approx 464,000, it is mainly roman catholic, they use euros and the weather is great all year round! That is still about the extent of my knowledge of the island!! Except, maybe I know the pubs a bit better?
For such a small place, the different scenery you can see on one island is amazing - from desert to mountains to tropical rainforests. You can lie on the beach, and see snow on the mountains - which brings a great feeling of well-being - thank goodness I am not up there!
You really must visit the Sand Dunes in Maspalomas. Maybe it is just me, having never seen desert before, but I got... more travel advice
If you get a chance, you really should go and visit this wee place, it really is beautiful. We went for the day and just... more travel advice
antz's Related Pages
Isla de Gran Canaria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GRAN CANARIA - explore the island!"
- "Gran Canaria, a mini continent"
- "Gran Canaria - Playa del Ingles and other places."
- "Gran Canaria"
- "Gran Canaria"
- "WELCOME TO MINIATURE CONTINENT!"
- "La Isla Gran Canaria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla de Gran Canaria
- Hotels in Isla de Gran Canaria
- Transportation in Isla de Gran Canaria
- Nightlife in Isla de Gran Canaria
- Restaurants in Isla de Gran Canaria
- Shopping in Isla de Gran Canaria
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla de Gran Canaria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla de Gran Canaria
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Isla de Gran Canaria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla de Gran Canaria
Top 10 Pages
- Glasgow Intro, 23 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 18 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 14 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oban Intro, 17 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bergamo Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos
- South Africa Intro, 12 reviews, 6 photos, 2 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Frankfurt am Main Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos
- Heidelberg Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos