"Gran Canaria" Isla de Gran Canaria by antz

Isla de Gran Canaria Travel Guide: 416 reviews and 1,173 photos

Wasn't my idea!!

I have to admit, I really didn't fancy Gran Canaria - not one of the places I really had the urge to go to.

After leaving University, we had decided that we were going to do a girlies holiday. We had all moved away, got proper jobs - grown up (?). We needed a bit of time to have a good old catch up and just enjoy ourselves.

I was quite happy to go anywhere, I just needed a break (ever had that feeling?) But the others really wanted to go somewhere warm. Well, in February, for a week, with not much money, there is not really much of a choice when looking for heat - so Gran Canaria it was. It meant taking an extra day off of work (Can only fly Glasgow to Las Palmas on a Monday - grrrr!), but hey it was a holiday!!

So anyway....

Well, we took over Gillian's house for a couple of days!! Made a complete mess and packed and repacked our things several times. I even went and bought a new bigger suitcase, god knows why, all my stuff fitted in the smaller one!! It must have been the travel madness!!

By the time we left on the Monday, spirits were high, and I was really looking forward to it, as I always do going away...even if it is to Tesco's! OK, I know, I am just plain strange...

The info part.

So I get on the plane, and suddenly realise that I know nothing about Gran Canaria (I am normally one of these people that reads up everything before I go) but luckily one of the girls has a guidebook on hand - just what you need for a 4 hour flight!

So I found out that: it is part of Spain, it has a population of approx 464,000, it is mainly roman catholic, they use euros and the weather is great all year round! That is still about the extent of my knowledge of the island!! Except, maybe I know the pubs a bit better?

For such a small place, the different scenery you can see on one island is amazing - from desert to mountains to tropical rainforests. You can lie on the beach, and see snow on the mountains - which brings a great feeling of well-being - thank goodness I am not up there!

• Last visit to Isla de Gran Canaria: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 15, 2005

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2005 at 1:58 PM

Very comprehensive page I agree with your comments on shops Unlike you - didn't like the camels God's joke in the Ark!!

antz

“Where next?”

Badges & Stats in Isla de Gran Canaria

Have you been to Isla de Gran Canaria?

Latest Activity in Isla de Gran Canaria