"Town of Bacalar near Chetumal" Bacalar by Redlats
Bacalar Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 40 photos
Bacalar is a vacation town in the southwest corner of the Yucatan Penisula, on the way to Chetumal. There are not a lot of lakes in the Yucatan Penisula, but this is one of them -- the second largest lake in Mexico. Laguna Bacalar is a 35-mile-long skinny lake where fresh and salt waters mix.
I never quite saw seven different shades, but the different depths of water, and mixing of fresh and salt waters have given the lake a nickname: "Lake of Seven Colours".
Cenote Azul, an underground lake is nearby on shore of Laguna Bacalar.
The Google map gives an idea of the long narrow lake. The actual town of Bacalar is near the south end of Lake Bacalar. Chetumal - the capital of Estado de Quintana Roo - is 23 miles south of Bacalar, and the country of Belize below Chetumal.
Four hours north of Bacalar (and way north of this little snipit of map) is Cancun.
We pose in Bacalar with historic San Felipe Fort behind.
The town of Bacalar is really quite small. It reminds me of vacation destinations in Canada -- everything is waiting for... more travel advice
Lake Bacalar is a 35 miles long fresh-water lake that one keeps seeing it from Highway 307. There is some confusion as... more travel advice
Redlats' Related Pages
Bacalar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bacalar, Mexico"
- "Town of Bacalar near Chetumal"
- "Bacalar - Just a quick trip thru"
- "It seems Caribean sea water but it is a lagoon¡"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bacalar
- Hotels in Bacalar
- Transportation in Bacalar
- Restaurants in Bacalar
- Warnings and Dangers in Bacalar
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bacalar
- 4 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Bacalar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bacalar
Photos in BacalarSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winnipeg Intro, 34 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Campeche Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Progreso Intro, 14 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Uxmal Intro, 15 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tucson Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banff National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Honolulu Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos