"Roadtrip to Campeche and Edzna" Top 5 Page for this destination Campeche by Redlats
Campeche Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 203 photos
The State of Campeche is the least visited of the three Mexican states that make up the Yucatan peninsula and in fact it was the last one we went to see as well. Campeche covers the southwestern third of Yucatan, and the city of Campeche is a coastal town of 175,000 people 2 1/2 hours bus ride from Merida.
One of Campeche's features is its city walls and forts. As Campeche was a Spanish trading post, it was constantly besieged by pirates. In response, the Spaniards built a thick stone wall shaped like a hexagon that stretched some 2.5 km around the city. In addition, eight bastions (baluartes in Spanish) were spaced evenly among the wall. Seven of those bastions remain to this day, and some contain museums and gardens, etc. Because it is a Baroque colonial town and because of its fortifications against pirates, Campeche has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage site.
We spent three days in Campeche, walking about in the walled city (which has no bus fumes to worry about and has cobblestone streets and colonial-era buildings), and visiting a nearby Mayan ruin -- Edzna. Campeche is typical of most cities in the Yucatan -- it has a central plaza, which has the important buildings of the city surrounding it, and a market (Mercado) nearby where locals buy fruit, vegetables, meats and other goods. Although Campeche City has a long west-facing waterfront (Malecon) it has no beaches -- nice sunsets though.
First of all to get to Campeche from Progreso (where we were renting a condo), we took the bus from Progreso to Merida, then an ADO bus from Merida to Campeche. As you can see, Campeche is on the west coast of the Yucatan peninsula. The Yucatan peninsula including under the ocean to the north is limestone bedrock. As such, back in the Spanish conquistador day, Campeche was a significant port.
Because of Campeche's walls, the downtown is quite closely contained, and it is recommended to go on a walking tour of the town. My "Things to do" tips will primarily cover the different aspects of our walking tour.
As there is no VT destination for Edzna, we have included our Edzna ruin photos and experiences in the "Off the beaten track" area of Campeche.
The most recognizable feature of Edzna is this Five-story Pyramid, which is fun to climb, even more fun to descend.
- In a nutshell:A quiet, less-visited city
All native communities seemed to have ball courts, and Edzna was no exception, although this one is smaller than most --... more travel advice
Getting to Edzna is not that simple. We asked at the information booth in the Campeche plaza. There are basically two... more travel advice
Redlats' Related Pages
Campeche Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Roadtrip to Campeche and Edzna"
- "CAMPECHE - BALUARTES Y PIRATAS"
- "San Francisco de Campeche"
- "Campeche/Uxmal Ruins"
- "Cathedral of the Conception"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Campeche
- Hotels in Campeche
- Transportation in Campeche
- Restaurants in Campeche
- Shopping in Campeche
- Warnings and Dangers in Campeche
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Campeche
- 22 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Campeche?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Campeche
Photos in CampecheSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winnipeg Intro, 34 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Campeche Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Progreso Intro, 14 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Uxmal Intro, 15 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tucson Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banff National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Honolulu Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos