"Road trip to Chetumal" Top 5 Page for this destination Chetumal by Redlats
Chetumal Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 74 photos
We went on a three-day road trip to Chetumal. A group trip was being arranged by someone in our community in Progreso, and by the time we left, there were 23 people from Progreso on the bus to Chetumal.
Chetumal is in the southeast corner of the Yucatan peninsula. It is in the state of Quintana Roo (same state that Cancun is in); in fact Chetumal is the capital. The city is a coastal town of 250,000 people on the border with the neighbouring country of Belize. In fact Mexicans travel to Chetumal to visit the duty-free zone. Chetumal itself seems to have limitless retail which seems to be open til late at night.
Chetumal seems different than the other cities we have seen in the Yucatan. The people are more mixed ? Caribbean, Lebanese and Asian. Even the city downtown felt different. We did not see a central plaza like normal, and there were no colonial buildings.
The people that arranged our bus tour had never arranged a tour before. As a result, there were a few snafus. For instance, they thought the bus would have washrooms -- but it didn't. It is a long way from Progreso -- normally a five hour drive -- it took us seven. Four potty-stops. It also means that we only had a day and a half in Chetumal. We had enough time to gamble and shop in the duty-free zone, to wander the streets of Chetumal, to visit the Mayan Culture Museum and to stop by Bacalar on the way home.
Unfortunately, due to our short visit, we missed out on the Mayan sites in southern Quintana Roo.
- In a nutshell:A little different that other cities in the Yucatan
The Mayan Museum is highly touted. I kept reading that it is modern, interactive, has a variety of platforms -- videos,... more travel advice
Chetumal's economy is influenced by its proximity to the Mexico-Belize border. That is the reason we visited -- It was... more travel advice
Redlats' Related Pages
Chetumal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Road trip to Chetumal"
- "not only a transit..."
- "Chetumal - Nice and quiet place"
- "AlexByt was in Ciudad Chetumal !!!"
- "Zurueck in México"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chetumal
- Hotels in Chetumal
- Transportation in Chetumal
- Restaurants in Chetumal
- Warnings and Dangers in Chetumal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chetumal
- 9 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Chetumal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chetumal
Photos in ChetumalSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winnipeg Intro, 34 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Campeche Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Progreso Intro, 14 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Uxmal Intro, 15 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banff National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tucson Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Honolulu Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos