"Mayan ruins at Uxmal" Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Uxmal by Redlats
Ruinas Uxmal Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 404 photos
From the top of the Great Pyramid (La Gran Piramide), I took this panorama of the site. Uxmal was built between 600 and 1150 A.D., although the site dates back to 500 B.C. The stonework is intricate -- truly exceptional. Uxmal's buildings seem to grow out from the forests and they are surrounded by beautiful and hilly country.
The Mayans had a governing class that served as intermediaries between man and the gods. This governing class monopolized most important activities and channeled the Mayans into the construction of these fabulous buildings.
This is part of the brochure you receive when you visit Uxmal. If you blowup the brochure, you can match the map to some of the buildings in my panorama. (9) is the Great Pyramid from where the above photo is taken. In the photo you can see [left to right] -- (3) the Quadrangle of the Nuns, (10) the Temple of the Turtles, (1) The Magician's Pyramid, and to the far right, (11) The Governor's House.
- Cons:Not accessible from Cancun as would need a 5 hours drive one way
- In a nutshell:Outstanding and less-visited Mayan ruin
If the day is hot, there will be iguanas everywhere around the ruins. We found iguanas on the path, in the forest,... more travel advice
If you are in the western part of the Yucatan peninsula, consider going to Uxmal. This ruin is pure Mayan, and is quite... more travel advice
Redlats' Related Pages
Ruinas Uxmal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mayan ruins at Uxmal"
- "The Amazing Mayan Ruins at Uxmal"
- "Uxmal, an ancient Mayan city"
- "Mayan Wonderland!"
- "Impressions of Uxmal"
- "Pyramid of the Magician"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ruinas Uxmal
- Hotels in Ruinas Uxmal
- Transportation in Ruinas Uxmal
- Nightlife in Ruinas Uxmal
- Restaurants in Ruinas Uxmal
- Warnings and Dangers in Ruinas Uxmal
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ruinas Uxmal
- 15 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Ruinas Uxmal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ruinas Uxmal
Photos in Ruinas UxmalSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winnipeg Intro, 34 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Campeche Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 14 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Progreso Intro, 14 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Uxmal Intro, 15 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tucson Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banff National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Honolulu Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos