"Mountains" Banff National Park by Redlats

Banff National Park Travel Guide: 808 reviews and 1,570 photos

Our favourite park in Canada!

I've always had a relationship with Banff National Park. The first time I visited I was five years old. My dad immigrated to Canada to work with the Canadian Pacific hotels, so our family spent five summers in Banff while I was a small kid.

My first summer job while I was in university was as a surveyor in Banff National Park. We got to travel in many parts of Banff -- with side trips to other National parks like Prince Albert NP.

A couple years after graduating from university, my wife and I got married and our honeymoon was in (you guessed it) Banff NP.

Since then we have gone back to the Rockies for holidays at least 10 times

Planning your trip to Banff

Regarding the number of days to plan, it really depends on what you like doing for activities. There are many hikes available that each take a day. If you just do the normal things of driving around the area, taking in the various museums, visiting Banff Springs hotel, going for a dip in the hot springs, walking through the tourist shops, taking the gondola to the top of Sulphur mountain, climbing Tunnel mountain, etc., you should probably spend a minimum of three days in Banff just to absorb the history and try out the various activities. Of course, there are many places that you can visit using Banff as your starting point. You should plan a whole day for the drive from Banff to Jasper (to allow time to stop and visit places like the Columbia Icefields) and there are more views to behold in the parks immediately adjacent to Banff -- i.e. Jasper NP, Yoho NP or Kooteney NP. We have returned ten or fifteen times in the past 40 years. There is a lot to do!!

• In a nutshell:Canada's oldest and most popular national park
  • Last visit to Banff National Park: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 22, 2007

• ray_d's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2007 at 1:42 AM

Nicely put. An easy read. Thankyou.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2006 at 2:46 PM

ah Banff is truely beautiful - thanks for the reminder - nice page & Nice updates!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2006 at 5:56 AM

Banff is really a magnificent place. I've not been there, but my mother and stepfather were.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2006 at 4:56 AM

Lats, a great little page on Banff NP and your recollections of many visits there! That small new riverside park in Banff itself looks great. I can see why this whole area is a UNESCO World Heritage site!

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2006 at 9:33 PM

I love your photos of Banff.. you seem to have captured it all. However, your picture of the "mountain goats" are actually big-horned sheep... thought you might like to know that. =:>)

• vtveen's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2005 at 10:15 AM

Nice pics and tips on Banff. Brings back sweet memories of two fantastic days in the Rockies last year.

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2005 at 10:02 AM

Banif is on my 'to do' list! Thanks for visitng my AMS pages and leaving such nice comments :)

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2005 at 7:34 PM

Very nice family pictures and Banff is really amazing.

• K.Knight's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2004 at 2:44 AM

Beautiful photography and excellent new tips! Brings back good memories for me. Thanks for sharing. G'day from Australia

• janiac's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2003 at 9:46 AM

I'm sorry, I looked, but the goats were soo cute!

Redlats Visits Here Frequently!

Redlats

“Live for today”

Badges & Stats in Banff National Park

Have you been to Banff National Park?

Latest Activity in Banff National Park