"Mountains" Banff National Park by Redlats
Banff National Park Travel Guide: 818 reviews and 1,596 photos
I've always had a relationship with Banff National Park. The first time I visited I was five years old. My dad immigrated to Canada to work with the Canadian Pacific hotels, so our family spent five summers in Banff while I was a small kid.
My first summer job while I was in university was as a surveyor in Banff National Park. We got to travel in many parts of Banff -- with side trips to other National parks like Prince Albert NP.
A couple years after graduating from university, my wife and I got married and our honeymoon was in (you guessed it) Banff NP.
Since then we have gone back to the Rockies for holidays at least 10 times
Regarding the number of days to plan, it really depends on what you like doing for activities. There are many hikes available that each take a day. If you just do the normal things of driving around the area, taking in the various museums, visiting Banff Springs hotel, going for a dip in the hot springs, walking through the tourist shops, taking the gondola to the top of Sulphur mountain, climbing Tunnel mountain, etc., you should probably spend a minimum of three days in Banff just to absorb the history and try out the various activities. Of course, there are many places that you can visit using Banff as your starting point. You should plan a whole day for the drive from Banff to Jasper (to allow time to stop and visit places like the Columbia Icefields) and there are more views to behold in the parks immediately adjacent to Banff -- i.e. Jasper NP, Yoho NP or Kooteney NP. We have returned ten or fifteen times in the past 40 years. There is a lot to do!!
- In a nutshell:Canada's oldest and most popular national park
As I have mentioned before, I have spent a lot of time in Banff. In the 1960's, we used to swim at the Lower Hot Springs... more travel advice
As I said in the previous tip, the falls do not change much. When I recall our visits long ago, there was not as much... more travel advice
Redlats' Related Pages
Banff National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CANADA'S FIRST NATIONAL PARK"
- "under re construction please come back"
- "The Canadian Rockies"
- "BANFF NATIONAL PARK"
- "Not Really Bashing Banff But...."
- "Banff National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banff National Park
- Hotels in Banff National Park
- Transportation in Banff National Park
- Nightlife in Banff National Park
- Restaurants in Banff National Park
- Shopping in Banff National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Banff National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banff National Park
- 14 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Banff National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banff National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: More Rental Getaways? "
- updated a Banff National Park Travel Page "Mountains"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cave and Basin"
- Wrote a Review Cave and Basin about Banff Town/nearby Lakes/Falls in Banff National Park Things to Do
- Commented on one of Bwana_Brown's Banff National Park travel pages
Photos in Banff National ParkSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winnipeg Intro, 34 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Campeche Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Progreso Intro, 14 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Uxmal Intro, 15 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tucson Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banff National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Honolulu Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos