"Stratford Festival" Top 5 Page for this destination Stratford by Redlats
Stratford Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 98 photos
An hour northeast of London is Stratford. We went on a day trip to Stratford - primarily to see a play, but also to explore the area a bit.
What can we say about Stratford? Of course, the play's the thing (I apologize for the lousy Hamlet quote). The Stratford Festival includes four theatres - of different sizes, but working together in a repertory company. The playbill emphasizes Shakespeare, but other plays are shown as well, in fact the play we saw is called Trojan Women (according to Wikipedia, this play was written in 415 BC by the Greek playwright Euripides). My son had enjoyed Hamlet a couple of weeks earlier.
But Stratford has other attractions. All these theatre-goers have to eat, so there are many restaurants, and in fact a world-renown cooking school. The river that flows through the downtown is the Avon River (a tributary of the Thames), and one can wander around Lake Victoria - created by damning the Avon River in the middle of Stratford - enjoying the grounds and gardens.
- In a nutshell:Most people come for the Stratford Festival
If you have an hour before your play, go for a walk around Lake Victoria. There is an asphalt path on the south side and... more travel advice
The Tom Patterson Theatre is located next to Lake Victoria in downtown Stratford. It has seating for 480 people on three... more travel advice
Redlats' Related Pages
Stratford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Bard is Alive and Well"
- "Stratford Festival"
- "A bit of Merrie Olde England"
- "Brush Up Your Shakespeare - and More!"
- "Theatre Central"
- "Festival Theatre , Stratford , Ontario"
- "Stratford, Ontario, Shakespeare's second home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stratford
- Hotels in Stratford
- Restaurants in Stratford
- Shopping in Stratford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stratford
- 6 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Stratford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stratford
Photos in StratfordSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winnipeg Intro, 34 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Campeche Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Progreso Intro, 14 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Uxmal Intro, 15 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tucson Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banff National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Honolulu Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos